Petition re: ash tree disease.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done. Import restrictions have been in place in Aus & NZ for many years.
Being an island, we should be able to keep diseases like this at bay easily enough.

This disease was brought in from an Eastern European country and this is where the problem lies, free trade within Europe, you will not stop that.

Plants can be brought in from other European countries with what is commonly known as a 'Plant Passport', this does in no way apply to the plants but to the importer.

Plants coming from countries outside Europe are subject to inspection by MAFF and they have to have clean washed roots and the plants should undergo a period of quarantine.

Andy

The other issue is with related species being carriers for diseases. At work I was told to stop using Vibernum opulus as an understory shrub in woodland plantings as it was a carrier - I think for the disease affecting Oak.

Jensmith":2upux7s7 said:
The other issue is with related species being carriers for diseases. At work I was told to stop using Vibernum opulus as an understory shrub in woodland plantings as it was a carrier - I think for the disease affecting Oak.

Sudden Oak Death was carried by A lot of other shrubs, one of the main culprits was Rhododendron, again imported from Europe, the main suppliers being Italy and Holland.

Andy

This is an interesting petition I think. I will sign it I expect, but it is weak. It says this:
"I would like a tighter control on the importation of saplings and seeds. This will reduce the risk of introducing diseases that are harmful to our native trees."
The second sentence is throw-away. The first lacks any definition as to 'control' so that is weak too.
Please don't get me wrong, I do care about the trees (not just ash either) but we have had bugs arrive via pallets (in the wood) from the far East... is this problem a side effect of the global economy? Ash is in the news, but is not alone under threat. I think the problem is far bigger, sorry to say.

I can't sign it as I live in Ireland. Unfortunately the ash disease has just got to Ireland from a tree imported from Europe, it's just disgraceful that ash trees were still being imported. They're trying to stop it spreading now, too late as usual.

I certainly support a much tighter biological control of plant material coming into the UK but it's not only known pathogen contaminated species but the transport vehicles themselves.
There is no contamination control on any vehicle coming off a sea or rail ferry or air for that matter entering the UK, many of which have travelled through infected areas or are carrying other produce that in itself could well be contaminated with spores that are free to transfer once in a UK nursery or florists.

Park a lorry overnight anywhere in Denmark and it is quite likely to have the spores on it when it crosses the channel.

Even holiday makers camping and returning with their kit could bring nasties in, all very difficult to control with anything other than very vigilant monitoring of woodland and nurseries.

We are an island only in name. Many spores and insects can quite easily be blown across from the continent. Not saying restrictions should not be applied but they will have only a limited affect.

Signed.

I find the whole issue of importing saplings rather strange.

Ash trees around here are surrounded by seedlings every year that grow quite easily, why is it a requirement to import them if conditions (i.e. soil) is so conducive to reproduction?

Regards Peter.

andersonec":2wqwuq3s said:
Jensmith":2wqwuq3s said:

Sudden Oak Death was carried by A lot of other shrubs, one of the main culprits was Rhododendron, again imported from Europe, the main suppliers being Italy and Holland.

Andy

Agreed. It was merely making a point about the fact that it's not just the importation of trees that is the problem....

We didn't plant any Rhododendron unless it was a specimen shrub for a park planting scheme. We did however plant a lot of Vibernum opulus in woodland and hedge plantings for species diversity. That was why I knew about that plant specifically.

Jensmith":1nec5yx6 said:
andersonec":1nec5yx6 said:
Jensmith":1nec5yx6 said:

Andy

Agreed. It was merely making a point about the fact that it's not just the importation of trees that is the problem....

We didn't plant any Rhododendron unless it was a specimen shrub for a park planting scheme. We did however plant a lot of Vibernum opulus in woodland and hedge plantings for species diversity. That was why I knew about that plant specifically.

Jen, I see you live in Cheshire and involved in horticulture, Have you ever been to Fouroaks? http://www.fouroaks-tradeshow.com/ if not then you should pay it a visit (Sept) and see the foreign exporters trying to sell stuff to the UK. it will open your eyes to the problem and just how large the market is, at one stage a few years ago, the plant auction at Aalsmeer in Holland http://www.floraholland.com/en/about-fl ... ion/eelde/ was the largest commercial building in Europe.

I can guarantee that more than 90% of the plant stock in every single garden centre in the UK has originated from overseas and most of the UK wholesale nurseries buy their stuff from Italy or Holland, it's just too expensive to grow it yourself, wholesalers can order an artic load from Italy and it will be on their doorstep within the week, so much more cost effective to buy it in at prices the British growers cannot match then sell it on at a very good mark-up, then the garden centres add another 2 to 300%.

Andy

Peggy":d388gxzn said:
I can't sign it as I live in Ireland. Unfortunately the ash disease has just got to Ireland from a tree imported from Europe, it's just disgraceful that ash trees were still being imported. They're trying to stop it spreading now, too late as usual.

Me too I agree with you Peggy , One thing I would point out is that having been involved in European transport when we had Foot and Mouth disease rampant in Europe we managed to keep it at bay by very hard working people at our docks . Maybe we should continue to have these measures in place all the time.

Definitely.

I remember the foot and mouth disease too and it was reassuring to see that everyone played their part in keeping it out of Ireland. I realise this tree disease could have arrived in Ireland on the wind or some other way that's impossible to prevent but it didn't arrive like that, it arrived carelessly on an imported tree which is awful.

Peggy

andersonec":5fd9ds2t said:
Jen, I see you live in Cheshire and involved in horticulture, Have you ever been to Fouroaks? http://www.fouroaks-tradeshow.com/ if not then you should pay it a visit (Sept) and see the foreign exporters trying to sell stuff to the UK. it will open your eyes to the problem and just how large the market is, at one stage a few years ago, the plant auction at Aalsmeer in Holland http://www.floraholland.com/en/about-fl ... ion/eelde/ was the largest commercial building in Europe.

I can guarantee that more than 90% of the plant stock in every single garden centre in the UK has originated from overseas and most of the UK wholesale nurseries buy their stuff from Italy or Holland, it's just too expensive to grow it yourself, wholesalers can order an artic load from Italy and it will be on their doorstep within the week, so much more cost effective to buy it in at prices the British growers cannot match then sell it on at a very good mark-up, then the garden centres add another 2 to 300%.

Andy

Andy,

I was involved - as a Landscape Architect, but was made redundant in March so I'm not involved in specifying plants at the moment. I'm probably not going to go back to it. Wasn't the job I thought it would be. Too much red tape and no budgets.

Anyway, I digress. No, not been to fouroaks. What I do know is that we did specify plants and trees grown in the UK where possible and only imported from Germany & Holland the really big extra heavy standard specimen trees when we couldn't get them in the UK.
Most of our plants and trees came from Specimen Trees in Knutsford. I know they grew their trees because I went to the nursery. Can't say about the shrubs.

I'm sure a lot of nurseries do import most of their stock. I'm not saying I agree with it. I do understand why it happens though as nurseries can't always keep up with demand, especially when plants are 'in fashion' like Betula utilis 'Jacquemontii' was a few years ago.

Regarding the Ash disease I got an email from the Landscape Institute today saying that Fraxinus (Ash) species can no longer be specified for landscape schemes and any that have been specified should be changed to another species.

There was also this link from the Forestry Commission on the disease, it's spread and how to identify it which might be useful for those who fell trees etc.
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/chalara

Looks like it came into specific nurseries in the UK from imported infected plants from Europe - Holland is mentioned specifically, but also spread by natural means by wind or bird or human contamination as it has also been found in woodlands with no link to any nurseries or recent planting.

It's been around since 1992 though when it was found in Poland. Why nothing has been done before now is beyond belief.

The petition is far too weak.

Back