pestle and mortar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pip1954

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i am thinking of making a pestle and mortar out of beech do you think that would be ok, but what do i finish it with
ideas on a post card please :lol:
pip :roll:

Hi Pip, you could use food safe finish from chestnut or an oil such as olive/sunflower; either should be fine.

Dan

we will see how it turns out if i am happy :cry: i will post it many thanks for your answers =D>
pip

I think it was Jumps that had one here a while ago ,
It was a lovely job well turned and an excellent finish.
Perhaps he will come on with some advice . Good luck .

If it's intended for use fairly soon after turning then I'd probably stay away from the food safe oils as I find that they soak into the wood at first but take take a long time to dry and are often exuded from the wood which, in this case, is likely to taint whatever is being crushed. Any finish that you put on is not likely to last long if the item gets repeated washing.
I don't think I'd put any finish on it but burnish with the shavings. I was going to comment on the anti-bacterial properties of wood but it appears as though beech isn't as good as others. Have a look here (first link at the bottom), although it is better than the plastic tested. interestingly, pine came out the best by a long way.

My mistske , it was a Gavel that I had seen posted here and not a pestel & mortar , :oops: :oops:
So much for me signature :roll: :roll:

i have just made a pestel and mortar my first real attempt at anything it has turned out better than expected ive only had the lathe 2 weeks but am enjoying playing with it haha im not well up on my woods yet but i think its pine

hawkeye100882":pky90xbs said:
i have just made a pestel and mortar my first real attempt at anything it has turned out better than expected ive only had the lathe 2 weeks but am enjoying playing with it haha im not well up on my woods yet but i think its pine

Show us a picture!

Or pure liquid petroleum from a chemists, again non toxic and food safe.

I used to use a liquid petroleum and beeswax mixture for a food safe finish. Unfortunately I have none left and any chemist I have gone to for the liquid petroleum tells me that they are not allowed to sell it now. Any ideas where to get it?

my pestle and mortar hopefully this upload works lol

Attachments

• mandp.jpg
    mandp.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 889
Sweetly done, hawkeye.
Looks good to me - nice stable base, which often isnt the case with such items - they are often a bit too 'arty' for practical use.
Greg

Back