Perspex for router base

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Does anyone know where I might get some 6mm Perspex, or similar?

I want to make a base for my router similar to the Trend teardrop base but slightly bigger so I need no more than about 1 sq m. I have tried the usual, B&Q, Homebase, but they only have 4mm which doesn't seem rigid enough.

If not your local signmaker, Trend do 500mmx500mm sheets in 3,6,8 mm. Not particuarly cheap - but a local signmaker quoted me about the same price for some scrap pieces!
Lawson-his sell most of Trend's stuff:
http://trend.industrialsuperstore.co.uk/finder.php?search=TM/ACR&type=begins&back=
And here's the page referring to it in Trend's catalogue:
http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/library/Catalogue_Pages/PAGE138.PDF
I think Rutlands do some Trend accessories too. Or try one of their local dealers.
Cheers
Gidon

Hi JG

I bought some offcuts from a plastics factory. It wasn't perspex, it was whale something.

I'll try to find out what it's called. It was ideal as it only cost ten pounds and I got just under a square metre, with a few pieces cut out.

Cheers
Neil

JG

Be careful with perspex as it shatters.

I asked for an offcut at work to make a router base and our resident materials expert told me to use a different material that will not shatter.

What is it?

Can't remember but will ask on Monday

Tony

Tony,
You may be thinking of Polycarbonate, which is what I use. I bought a sheet of "Lexan" from a local plastics place. It is made by GE of the USA.

I bought some polycarbonate from a local plastics dealer to use for the garage door windows. I paid a lot more than for glass as I didnt want my kids ball breaking the windows. In last weekends gale, one piece broke 1/3 the way along & fell to the ground broken into 3 bits. It was in a spot that never has any sun so uv was unlikely to blame.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, you've given me a lot of useful pointers. :D

Hi JG

The product I bought was called Tufnol. It is quite thin but very strong. Excellent for making new bases for the router.

Cheers
Neil

Back