Personal Changes You've Made - lighthearted ones..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Оh peop, over the years I have come to understand the meaning of "like a pharmacie tidy". My wife is pharmacist. Everything is in its place.
Apart from me.

I just accept that I don't (and never will) know where anything is after asking where my keys were only to be told that they're in "the pumpkin". I obviously didn't get the memo that during Halloween the obvious receptacle for keys is "the pumpkin". So the personal change I've made is don't look just ask first.

I was installing a server last week and glanced over the manual - all pretty standard - let's just install it I thought. Step one create a user, step two update the firmware.... no problem... the server has locked up,.. Hmm, let's check the deployment guide again... "don't update the firmware when first setting up the server" it says... D'oh! Time for a phone call. In IT there's the saying RTFM, but I think that ruins the fun, so I still don't read manuals.

Not light-hearted but I came across a quote some months back:

"Limiting access to your life for people who do not have your best interests at heart, IS self-care."

struck a chord with me. So I started practicing it for the couple of people in my life who it applies to, and life is calmer and more settled.

Not light-hearted but I came across a quote some months back:

"Limiting access to your life for people who do not have your best interests at heart, IS self-care."

struck a chord with me. So I started practicing it for the couple of people in my life who it applies to, and life is calmer and more settled.

I can't remember if I've said this before, but I have coached a few colleagues that someone is "taking advantage of their manners" and they need to be less absolutist about it. If someone is taking advantage of your manners, then it's time for the manners to stop. All the way down to door to door salespeople and telemarketers. When someone shows up at the door and starts a pitch -they're not supposed to be here in the first place (against local laws in a no-canvass neighborhood), or they send an unsolicited email to me at work. For the former, I just close the door without asking or saying anything. The latter, I classify as spam.

The direct to person emails have become very obnoxious here - aimed at professionals and far different than the kind of email blast spam stuff. It's persistent salespeople who have no relationship with me and who do not provide a legally required "unsubscribe" option. So reporting them as spam attaches a stain on their email address and it also blocks them.

I used to just ignore the emails, but they have gotten beyond that stating that i either did or didn't respond but still need to. And they are taking care of my employer's required (at least as I perceive it) manners, or I would be a lot more blunt with them.

A couple of changes to smoking and drinking which were of great benefit, but were not really of my doing.
I didn't smoke at all up until age 20 when one of my shipmates gave me a Cuban cigar. It was just the finest thing imaginable. Thereafter, for the next year I smoked one or two cigars a day but then Castro started getting a bit difficult and we didn't go to Cúba anymore and cigars got increasingly difficult to get. So I tried other cigars, cigarettes and pipes but in comparison with the Cuban stuff it was like smoking dried up barnacles scraped off the ship's bum. Thus ended my one year career as a smoker.
I used to drink, probably a bit too much as well. At age 24 I passed my Seccond Mate's and a few of us from nautical school went for a night out. Don't remember anything about it except early next morning I woke up lying on my back on someone's front lawn with a crushing pressure in my chest. But that was no problem, just a mangy cat that took the opportunity for a bit of warmth and comfort. What was a problem though was a small tattooed anchor on my right forearm. It was quite nicely done but I detest tattoos. This resulted in a bit of serious introspection - I was molested by a cat, felt absolutely terrible, had blown all my money, undoubtedly made a fool of myself and had a hated tattoo. And thus ended my career as a drinker. Thereafter one or perhaps two beers or glasses of wine, not more. I feel that circumstances conspired in my favour to save me from a few self inflicted problems.

I started smoking when I was a student: I bought a packet of twenty St. Moritz Menthol (the ones where you could never be sure if you'd lit it or not). After a year there were still nineteen left in the pack - but it looked kinda cool tucked into my 26" belt. That was the start and end of my smoking career - and I seem to have mislaid the waistline somewhere along the line......😳

I never go into a public loo without checking there is bog roll in that metal dispenser.

I stopped wearing these and my bell bottom trousers after I fell off them last week and ended up in A&E.

Screenshot_20221021-112234_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I recently realised that these days I readily make a new piece if I screw something up. Earlier it was a matter of pride to me to repair any mess I made and I regarded making a completely new part as a failure.

I have watched all three. My life was immeasurably better after I gave them all up.

Doc Martin was initially humorous. It got a bit tired and we get new runs of them from time to time. I guess we'll get them when the pair ends up in a care home? Not sure. Haven't seen it in years.

We don't get too many of your show on main TV (PBS picked up doc martin). I think the reason for that is we just rip off the format and make an american version of a lot of the others (the office, etc)

Back