Persisting it down

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but I have a river running outside the house where there was a road yesterday (North Glos). BTW, we live on higher ground but two points:-
1 - If you need to go anywhere, there will be floods
2 - We were flooded in 2007 by water coming OFF the hill on its way down!!

Hope everyone else is at least safe

Phil

I have been to a friend’s house this morning, unlike me he still has to work :D
He lives on a slope parallel to a road and the gutter drain was blocked with rubbish and the water threatening to over flow down his drive and into the house.
His wife had rang him and he contacted me for help.

Took me less than five minutes to clear the rubbish from over the drain and all is well again :D

.......... Except some a r s e drove through the enormous puddle at speed drenching me :evil:. Hope the sod had a good laugh at my expense :roll:

While I feel for the people flooded out, every time this happens they'll interview someone on TV who has done absolutely nothing to help themself. Some while ago there were floods in Devon (iirc) and a pub landlord was complaining that the pub had flooded for the third time in 18 months, and he could no longer get insurance. I expect the water came in through the front door, as it's on the waterfront? said the interviewer. No, he said it comes down the hill and through the side window. A huge sash window - after it had happened the first time why on earth didn't he have a couple of courses of blocks laid and a smaller window put in?
Where I lived for 22 years there were three roads running parallel across a hill. Some very nice houses were 20 feet below the road behind them, and the storm drains hadn't been maintained in all that time. There was often 8" or 10" of water in the gutters with nowhere to go - I always waited for a landslide and for the council to then say it was unexpected. The time will come ... :D

I had an afternoon kip a couple of weeks ago and awoke to banging. My wife was using a hammer on my lovely old wooden handled Footprint inch and a half bevel edged chisel ........... to take up paving slabs. :shock: The clown who laid the patio had paved over the edges of the drain grids, so the slabs had to be taken up to get rid of the flood water.

Lots of flooding near me, Had to go into Chesterfield earlier and 3 roads were closed due to floods.

phil.p":2iz0ijxz said:
I had an afternoon kip a couple of weeks ago and awoke to banging. My wife was using a hammer on my lovely old wooden handled Footprint inch and a half bevel edged chisel ........... to take up paving slabs. :shock: The clown who laid the patio had paved over the edges of the drain grids, so the slabs had to be taken up to get rid of the flood water.

That will teach you Phil!
I trust you have now bought her a 4ft crowbar

phil.p":vi7pfn2y said:
..... the pub had flooded........ why on earth didn't he have a couple of courses of blocks laid and a smaller window put in?......

Most pubs are old, and many are Listed. Getting permission to reduce a window opening in a Listed Building would be problematic. If the wall wasn't on the boundary then the first thing to look at would be diverting any floodwaters away from the building with some sort of barrier. You shouldn't really rely on the outside walls of a building as your flood barrier.

Back