Perseids

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder for those of you who like astronomy that the Perseid meteor shower should be visible tonight and tomorrow, assuming the weather is favourable.

Happy star gazing 8) :D !

Gill

The skies have clouded over, so my astronomy for the evening may be finished. Nevertheless, I'm going to hang on for as long as I can; almost every year for as long as I can remember I've stayed up to see meteors on 11 and 12 August, and every year I've been disappointed.

Not tonight. Tonight I've seen meteors slicing across the firmament - it's the first time I've ever seen a meteor 8) :) . Perhaps there'll be more as the night progresses but I could happily stay up till dawn now without anything else occurring. It's lovely and balmy out in the garden as I sit in my plastic chair watching the stars (and clouds).

I can now recognise Cassiopiea and the Pleides. And there's Perseus reaching out towards Andromeda. Heck, it'd be romantic if Perseus didn't keep hurling those pesky Perseids at poor old Andromeda - perhaps it's his way of showing his undying love.

Gill

ere you using a telescope or binoculars? or just gazing into the sky? Doubt i'd see much where I am, don't think ive ever seen so much as a star in the sky at night here. Heck, its hard enough to see the moon!

I may stay up tonight to see if I can see some meteor action tho.

I just sat in the back garden and looked (slightly towards the north of) east - no visual aids, just a pair of spectacles :). I'm surprised that I saw anything at all because I live in a rather densely populated suburban area. Happily, not even the West Midlands street lighting spoiled the show.

Yes, OLD, we've got the Starry Night program. Actually, that tends to be His Lordship's domain rather than mine. He's the real star gazer but I understand he finds Starry Night to be very useful.

Gill

really fed up last night as cloudy all the time. Hoping to see some tonight with fingers crossed

YAY :D I saw them :D YAY

First time for me aswell, They were great, over within a second but still amazing nevertheless....

I saw loads of other things in the sky that i learnt about when on holiday 8)

Hope you guys see them in the early hours of tomorrow :p

Ta, Tom

Sat in the garden with my two 8 & 13 year old daughters last night and watched the sky wasnt long before we saw a meteor flash every 5mins or so. And what a amazing site. They couldnt stop talking about it today.
That was a magical moment that we wont forget.

Simon

Back