Perscription safety glasses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matkinitice

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm not the only person in the world that didn't know about this, in fact it feels obvious after the fact but sharing it as a heads up.

As a wearer of glasses I've recently discovered that you can indeed purchase prescription safety glasses. The reason this never occurred to me on my bi-annual trip to the opticians was the fact they don't actually have them on display. It was only due to comparing prices online that I saw them on offer.

Once I asked, they went around the back and pulled out a container full of a variety of pairs. Went with nothing fancy, some JCB variant, about £75 ish. Tough, yellow tips but the fact they match the prescription I need is fantastic. Bottom/edge protection but not big and clunky so these will be my default glasses to wear not only for woodworking but any DIY in general. My original setup was glasses behind googles, but this was always cloudy and a right faff when you add in ear protection. Due to this I'd take the goggles off as soon as I could.

Anyway - a boring topic, but hands down the best "tool" purchase for the workshop in recent months. I wish I picked these up years ago!

I'm a bit surprised that you've only accidentally, and recently apparently, become aware that prescription safety glasses are available from opticians. I think I got my first pair of such glasses some ten or twelve years ago, and the impetus to get them came through my employer who had a financial support scheme in place for wearers of glasses. At that time I only really needed correction for close up work, but got the subsidised safety glasses anyway.

Since then, the correction needed for me has moved on to both close work and distance and, no longer being a PAYE employee, I now have self-employment earnings as well as other income sources. So nowadays I get my prescription varifocal safety glasses updated with my normal glasses, and legitimately set the cost of the safety glasses against income tax.

Occasionally nowadays I might go for a pint after work, or even gone home for tea, only to discover I'm still wearing the safety specs, which then entails me scratching around trying to recall where I left my regular glasses, ha, ha. Slainte.

I've worn them for years, the early pairs tended to be heavy framed glasses with clear triangle sides added to help stop debris. As my eyes have aged I now wear vari-focal safety glasses which again work really well. My latest pair are from Norville and are a wraparound style which are much better for stopping debris, the only disadvantage is that they can steam up when working really hard due to the close face fitting style. Another good make is Bolle.

1D7AE1D9-177A-409F-8934-4244DFD16FE9.jpeg

I'm a bit surprised that you've only accidentally, and recently apparently, become aware that prescription safety glasses are available from opticians. I think I got my first pair of such glasses some ten or twelve years ago, and the impetus to get them came through my employer who had a financial support scheme in place for wearers of glasses. At that time I only really needed correction for close up work, but got the subsidised safety glasses anyway.

Since then, the correction needed for me has moved on to both close work and distance and, no longer being a PAYE employee, I now have self-employment earnings as well as other income sources. So nowadays I get my prescription varifocal safety glasses updated with my normal glasses, and legitimately set the cost of the safety glasses against income tax.

Occasionally nowadays I might go for a pint after work, or even gone home for tea, only to discover I'm still wearing the safety specs, which then entails me scratching around trying to recall where I left my regular glasses, ha, ha. Slainte.

I'm a hobbist woodworker. If you work in places where you need these I guess it's a given. In fact, they were a bit surprised I was paying full price for them and not getting my employer to pay. I was more unaware that opticians do indeed stock them - they just aren't on display and you have to ask for them to try/test.

I asked my optometrist years ago what made them different from regular glasses and could regular frames be used instead. She said it was because the glass (remember glass lenses) had to be thicker and tempered to resist the impact. She also said safety frames had a deeper groove and steeper angle to grip the lens better so that's why regular frames can't be used. Every optometrist I went to has some safety frames if you ask. They devote the display area to fashionable glasses and sunglasses because they sell more of them and the profit margin is greater. For myself I have gone over to multifocal contact lenses and a full face respirator.

Pete

I get mine from vision express. i have been using prescription safety glasses since 1980. They come in many styles often looking like regular metal framed glasses.
I myself prefer the "Pilot" style glasses as they really suit bifocal lenses.

Gerry

As a non professional I baulked at the price in my opticians when asking about safety specs. I am long sighted, so wanted something so I could see the detail close up. I found these on Amazon

Bolle IRIDPSI1.5 Iris Spectacles Lens Bi Material Frame, +1.5 Reading, Clear

They are a bit like the cheap reading specs you can get with different diopter bifocal elements, whilst the rest is clear wraparound. I got the ones closest to my prescription, and whilst not exactly the same they are great and for about £10 you can’t go wrong.

Are you just buying the frames or with the script lenses too?
I don't see how lenses could be fit without measuring your pupal location within the frame.

Pete
When ordering they take the details of your prescription which is provided by the optician when you have your eyes tested so it’s all taken care of.

On a related note I have just bought glasses from an on line retailer, not safety on this occasion. I paid £38 delivered for a pair of frameless glasses approximately 8 months ago and am over the moon with the quality. I am sure any glasses wearers will know how much these usually cost. Bit of a steal. Check them out

https://www.selectspecs.com
image.jpg

When ordering they take the details of your prescription which is provided by the optician when you have your eyes tested so it’s all taken care of.

Okay, here you get your prescription but nothing about your eye position measurements and you can go wherever you like for frames and lenses. So without putting the frame on your face to know where it sits on the bridge of your nose and the position of the eyes in the lens openings, ones lenses could line up off the focal point in the eyes. That Marty Feldman effect would give me headaches. 🤪 I have bought safety frames from an industrial supplier (Uvex) and taken them to the optometrist for lenses. They still located the lenses to suit my eyes. If your online suppliers get it right for you that's great.

Pete

Okay, here you get your prescription but nothing about your eye position measurements and you can go wherever you like for frames and lenses. So without putting the frame on your face to know where it sits on the bridge of your nose and the position of the eyes in the lens openings, ones lenses could line up off the focal point in the eyes. That Marty Feldman effect would give me headaches. 🤪 I have bought safety frames from an industrial supplier (Uvex) and taken them to the optometrist for lenses. They still located the lenses to suit my eyes. If your online suppliers get it right for you that's great.

Pete
Just looked and my prescription includes pupillary distance which I think takes account of the point you are concerned about.

I got mine from safetyspecs.co.uk they weren’t cheap at almost 190 pounds but I figured that you can’t really put a cost on your vision. I’m long sighted and will eventually have to change the prescription. So if anyone knows any cheaper places do let us know :)

One thing to watch out for at the opticians is VAT, safety specs should be VAT free in the UK but some opticians just add it on anyway....

Do you mind me asking which optician that was please?
I have used Boots and Vision Express and neither supplied IPD on the prescription.
I did however manage to sneakily record it once. Does it change?

Do you mind me asking which optician that was please?
I have used Boots and Vision Express and neither supplied IPD on the prescription.
I did however manage to sneakily record it once. Does it change?
Hi - I use a local optician rather than one of the chains. Just looked back at my two previous prescriptions and it hasn't changed. I wonder if Boots and Vision Express don't give it to try and keep the sale of the glasses with them?

Latest posts

Back