Permanent labels for glass jars?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
As per the title, I want to label some glass jars, for use with flour and the like (yes, I know that glass is see-through... but can you tell the difference between plain and self-raising, just by looking?? :wink: )...

As these are part of a gift, I want them to stay looking neat after they have been washed-up a few times, so I want to avoid sticky labels. Has anyone had any experience of glass paint? Is it long-lasting? I know etching it the really permanent way, but I hope their kitchen isn't ever exposed to frost...

Or is there a sensible alternative I am overlooking?

Many thanks!

I just printed labels on my colour laser printer and attached them with milk.

They've held up fine, just don't scrub the outsides, or worst case, print more labels and give those unattached to be affixed if one fails.

eg. (complete with greengrocer's apostrophe [the 2nd one, not the first])

example.png

You can try it like this if you've got a laminator: thepaintedhive.net/2012/02/magic-decal-transfer-tutorial-with-free-printables/
Or I just used waterslide decal paper and then gave it a few coats of a spray lacquer. I've used the jars for all sorts over the last few years but actually have never felt the need to wash them (you jut top up the jar with flour, rice, spices etc) so I've no idea how robust against washing mine are.

Etching - hydrofluoric acid - really nasty process.

But if you know anyone with a sandblasting enclosure for small parts, you could possibly stencil them, or print an outline onto label paper (see below) and sandblast that. The big advantage is they can be washed whenever the new owner feels the need. If you wanted to get really posh, you might also fill in the sandblasted bit with enamel afterwards.

Old fashioned Indian ink doesn't fade, so calligraphy onto a gummed label would be pretty permanent.

Avery labels, for an inkjet or laser printer:

L7167 - full sheet A4
L7168 - half sheet (two labels per A4 sheet)
L7166 - 1/6 sheet (six per A4).

They're all laid out on A4 but have a small border all round the outside of the sheet.
There's plenty of competitors using the same codes too.

"As per the title, I want to label some glass jars, for use with flour and the like (yes, I know that glass is see-through... but can you tell the difference between plain and self-raising, just by looking?? :wink: )..."

surely the surface of the plain flour in the jar is smooth and the self raising jar hovers above the shelf..........

fetching coat and heading for door :D

Have to say I agree with the etching and enamel paint suggestions. I have tried and failed with labels every single time.

At work we use, P TOUCH labels. You can get all sorts of tape. These seem to last outside in extreme weather quite well. The only drawback is you need a special printer, and the tape is pretty expensive.

I have Armour etch. It works...but the mechanism by which it does is the same as that of hydrofluoric acid. It is not nearly as safe as the demonstrations on youtube suggest.

If you want colour, then I would recommend Pebeo vitreo 160 paints. From a cold oven, set it to 160c, 40 mins at 160c, then switch off without opening the door. After 75 + cycles in the dishwasher, mostly still intact :) Very impressive for a water bourne product.

Back