Performance Power Pro Bench Top Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello,
I am thinking about a new table saw and seen one of these in B&Q for £199. Looks ok to me, I thought I would ask of anyone elses opinions.
I have been considering a table saw for some time, my use is small, but I like the idea of the deeper cutting depth compared to the Ferm eg
Many Thanks
Chris

I know that nobody here likes the b&q perormance power range, but I have seen this saw too and it *did* look quite impressive.

With it's black and yellow colour scheme I actaully though it was a deWalt untill I noticed the badge.

The table looks quite large and sturdy, the fence looks quite solid and locks into place without any free-play. The mitre guide also runs nice and true without any wobble.

It looks like a completley different machine to the other table saw offerings in the range.

I wonder if one of the more knowledgable bods in the forum could cast a quick critical eye over this machine the next time they happen to be in the BORG. (Big Orange Retail Giant!)

Thanks,
Mark.

Hi Chris and Mark

If you want one word to think about when discussing woodworking tools, imho, I would put forward accuracy.

There are price bands for all of the woodworking tools and table saws fall quite clearly into various categories.

As a general rule, sub 300 pound tablesaws are intended for the diy market and leave a lot to be desired in terms of repeatable accuracy.

In the 3-500 pound bracket you have contractor saws which are intended for use on-site and they do not particularly need to be 100% accurate.

Then you move up past the 500 pound mark and you are then dealing with a totally different beast, one that you can start to rely on.

Do you really need a tablesaw? A good circular saw with a straight edge will start you off pretty well and for less than 100 pound you can be up and running with a brand such as Makita.

A lot of members, well Alf and Gill really, might say that you don't need a tablesaw because you can do it all with a bandsaw. It's well worth listening to their views.

You might also like to see what members have said about their tablesaws.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=527&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Not what you wanted to hear, but hopefully, food for thought.

Cheers
Neil

Will I admit to having one of the much older B&Q saws. :shock:

Its not in the same class as a Delta, but then my one cost £80. I just have to be aware of the limitations and work around them. Looking at the pictures of the new ones the fence looks much better, that is the weakest link on mine. :twisted: I use a steel rule to set the cut up, both ends of the table, whats repeatability? I always try to cut all of the parts that need to be the same, at the same time :)
But with a Perform blade from Axminster it has cut everything I laided on it, pine through to iroko. I would love to have a quieter saw, but I have some very good ear defenders :oops:

I would love to have a unisaw but then even in my quite large workshop I don't really have the space.
So its back to you get what you pay for, the B&Q saw will do most things, but with longer setup times and lower through put than a more expensive saw. If your budget is small and space is tight it is usable and lets be honest most of us lust after a bigger, better something or other :wink:

my advice would have to be "know the limitations of your machine".

FORGET WHAT YOU HAVE SEEN NORM DO! just forget it! if you are dreaming that you could produce the same sort of cut that he does (sometimes dangerously :shock: ) with a B&Q table saw, then just forget it.

if you are looking for an introduction into table saws, then the B&Q jobbie may be a good start.

as neil said, at this end of the market you are really starting to loose accuracy because of the price bracket you are in i.e.:
1) NON- REPEATABLE cuts
2) sloppy mitre gauge
3) poorly locking fence
4) vibration :cry:

i suppose that the up side to all of this is that you`ll soon learn what you`ll be looking for in your next table saw :D

Why not look around the s/market. I have seen Bursgreen/Wadkin saws,sliding table saws etc. for under £300 in the free ad papers.My own t/s has a cast table, induction motor and only cost about £140(90 of which was for the motor) it has a cast iron fence which locks solid but I haven't yet fitted a scale so I have to measure for each cut but I will have it to my liking eventually.

Back