Perform morticer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I see from their latest highlights catalogue Axminister are selling their
Perform morticer for £64.95.

Can anybody help with the following questions regarding this morticer.

1. is it any good?

2. the shank size is 3/4" as opposed to the standard 13/16" does this make buying good quality chisels a problem?

DaveC.

Clico do a range of quality chisels in a 3/4in shank size as well as their more common 13/16in ones, but the smallest 1/4in one will cost you almost as much as the morticer itself. other than that our recent test of the Perform in Good Woodworking showed it not to be too bad for the price. A little limited in timber sizes but not bad!
Pete

is it any good?

You generally get more or less what you pay for - so rigidity may be less than desirable particularly when using larger chisels.

the shank size is 3/4" as opposed to the standard 13/16" does this make buying good quality chisels a problem?

Not necessarily. If the machine has a detachable bushing for the chisel, it may be possible to bore or ream it out to 13/16" as I did with my morticer. If you have a local general machine shop then it shouldn't cost much more than a tenner to get done. If you have a mate with a Myford, then even better. You can then use a good quality chisel. I recommend these. Clico chisels are expensive because they are industrial quality - and IMHO quite OTT for use on hobby equipment in a non-commercial shop.

Ike

Don't most machines come with a sleeve/bushing to accommodate the two different shank sizes. Mine did.

Noel

Dave
I have a similar machine from B+Q (they all seem to be "badged", these cheap mortisers!)
It cuts fine, the only weakness is the hold-down. It is part of the fence and when pulling the chisel out of the work it moves the fence slightly. I have tried a variety of clamps and tricks to try and eliminate this but haven't licked it yet.
At that price its worth a go, though!
hope this helps
Philly :D

Thanks for the info guys, I have read the review of bench morticers in Good Woodworking. In the review there is no mention of the auger shank size each of these machines take. I e-mailed Andy King (technical editor)
regarding this and from his reply it seems that( skip the detail) there is a range between 5/8" and 13/16".

after reading the review I have ordered a Ferm morticer from Screwfix.
I will look and see if there is a bush in the head that can be bored out from 3/4" to 13/16".
Failing that, and I take Pet's and Ike's point
that Clico chesels at £44 each are a bit OTT can anybody recommend
good quality 3/4" shank morticer augers.

Philly":1llomv1l said:
Dave
I have a similar machine from B+Q (they all seem to be "badged", these cheap mortisers!)
It cuts fine, the only weakness is the hold-down. It is part of the fence and when pulling the chisel out of the work it moves the fence slightly. I have tried a variety of clamps and tricks to try and eliminate this but haven't licked it yet.
At that price its worth a go, though!
hope this helps

Philly

search for my X-Y vice mod posted on here somewhere - turns a cheap morticer into a precision piece of kit that 's easy to use

daveC":20kx436e said:
anybody recommend

Don't Axminster sell some? In a "budget" set - it'd at least give you a basic setup, and it's not all expensive, not sure about the "quality" bit though!

Adam

can anybody recommend

All the ones I've come across seem much the same quality i.e. Chinese/poor. I've found that the chisels themselves are servicable if sharpened using the proper piloted cutter. However the auger bits are simply awful. Either the tip is ground off centre and/or the auger shaft itself is warped (probably as a result of the heat treatment process). I've found these to be unserviceable and just chucked them. That said, you might be lucky so if you buy a set, check for the above, otherwise they can be fettled to work OK.

I know I've said it once but the Japanese chisels are closer to Clico quality but half the price - good compromise IMO if you can sort a 13/16" bushing.

cheers

Ike

Or the auger tip is wider than the chisel resulting in "squarish" holes.

Noel

Bean":26zcnu6k said:
Philly go on tell us what hav'nt you bought :wink:
Coo, hasn't it gorn quiet..?
laugh.gif

There was a good article on using an X/Y vice in PWW not long back as I recall. FWIW.

Cheers, Alf

Bean/Alf,
I was ignoring that comment.............. 8)

Funnily enough I was reading the PW article in the bath last night-might carry out that mod at the same time!
Was thinking of making "no more purchases" my new years resolution-but where's the fun in that????? :lol:
cheers

Back