Perform CCAF Air Filter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulH

Established Member
Reaction score
My "workshop" is in the roof space of my garage and consequently has no windows for ventilation - even the "door" is in the floor! I was therefore considering buying an air filter to remove the fine dust that inevitably circulates.

I note Axminster currently have their Perform CCAF model on special offer (25% off). On comparing this with the Jet AFS-500, I see the Perform:

1) has a higher rate of air movement
2) has a higher room volume
3) is rated "Hobby"

But the Jet,

4) is 10Kg lighter
5) is significantly smaller in length
6) is rated "Trade"

Both are dual stage filtering and filter to 5 and 1 micron at the first and second stage respectively.

I'm assuming that the higher rate of air movement would be "better", so why is the perform only rated "hobby" but the Jet rated "Trade"?

The lighter/smaller system would be "preferable", but given the extra "volume" and higher rate of air movement, I guess the Perform is "better" and therefore currently a "good deal"?

Is my analysis correct and does anyone have any experience of the Perform filter?

Thanks,
Paul.

I may be wrong, but my understanding of Axminster's trade vs hobby specs is not so much the power/weight etc figures, as an indication of the suitability for 'all day every day' (ie trade) use, as opposed to one or two hours once or twice a week (hobby). Trade tends to mean better bearings/cooling/more reliable motor, etc etc. So, if the size is not an issue, and you can hang/mount it out of the way somewhere, I'd go for the more powerful Perform version. I went through exactly this decision process when buying my floor standing (Perform) bandsaw, and am very happy with it.

I saw the same offer and was tempted as it is quite a big saving. Having read the detail thought the Perform description says that it best to use it on the lowest fan setting as the higher settings can force dust particles through the filter material and back into circulation, which kind of defeats the advantage of the higher power settings and air volumes !

Don't know if the Jet is the same in this respect or not though......

Cheers, Paul :D

I opted for the MTM from Axminster, rated as 'light trade', which has proved very good. Single speed, doesn't use much power, low volume of air movement, very effective. I run mine off a timer, 2 hours in the morning, same in the afternoon and 4 hours from 6-10pm just to have a final air clearing session. Works for me, keep it simple - Rob

I bought the Jet about a week ago and I'm happy with it. It's very quiet and is smaller than the Perform. The visible difference is the air filter, it is bigger, it has a two and four hour timer. The machine isn't as heavy and I also got 10% off the price :D

Phil

I bought the Jet about four years ago.

It had minimum use for a couple of years, then regular use for the next couple.

About six months ago i smelt burning and the Jet was making a funny noise. Checked it out and found it to be only really functioning at low speed and after 10 mins, burning smell.Motor rotates by hand freely, so assume electronics duff.
Now looking for replacement and will probably go with the MTM.
I only ever really needed to run the Jet on the lowest speed and found it great on hot days as it could pull hot air out of the workshop and draw in cooler air.

Yes, you can set up your other extraxtion to better extract and cut down on the dust in the first place, but these air filters certainly do a good job and i quite miss mine :(

Latest posts

Back