pepper mill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed451

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to turn a couple of pepper mills. I found the mechanism at a popular mail-order store (Lee Valley) which comes with plans and specs. The inner diameter is 1 1/16". I'm not sure how to achieve this; do I drill it with something like an auger bit, or can I bore this on my lathe? I'm very novice to turning. Thanks in advance for your input.

Ed :)

If you have a chuck for the tailstock,it can be done with a Forstner bit held in the chuck,advancing it into the revolving workpiece.
I have also used a cordless drill with a Forstner bit to drill them (with the workpiece stationary,of course :D )

Andrew

Hi Ed,

Andrew is completely right! So long as you have "Forstner bit's" that is the way. If not you can get a good "set" from Axminster without breaking the bank. I bought them recently and have not stopped using them (even when making a bowl and needing depth).

You can cut the inside with scrapers (as the finish isnt crucial) so long as it isnt too deep. I managed this when I was starting out so I know you shouldnt lose your fingers doing it :)))

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks. I'm still wondering, though...the max length of a 1 1/16" bit is 5" but what if I want to buy a 12" or larger mill kit? Please excuse my ignorance, but I feel I'm missing something.

Ed :oops: :?

Hi Ed,

For deeper holes you can buy extension arms for the fortsner bits that add another 10" or so to the length. Your bit locates in the end of the extension and is secured with some grub screws.

Guess as an alternative, depending on the design of the pepper mill, you might be able to drill as far as you can with the ordinary forstner bit then swap the mill body around and drill again from the other end ?

Cheers

I think for deep drilling it is better to use an auger, cutting on one side. When you drill deep with a forstner or sawtooth bit it will tend to go off the center.

A friend of mine turns a lot of peppermills. The pictures in an article he wrote might be of some help. It is on our website: http://www.houtdraaienindehaarlemmermeer.nl/artikelen/pepermolen.pdf

Success,

Hans

Duiker wrote:
Is that an Albert Hein plastic peper mill?

Ben je en lid van RADIUS?
Yes it is, Henk Smit uses them all the time, generally with great results.
And yes, on the 4th of december 2004 I replied to your first posting on this forum:
Hi Duiker,

welcome to the forum.

As far as woodturning is concerned, maybe the best thing to do is join Radius, (= the Dutch version of the AWGB).

ED451 wrote:
I wasn't able translate the text,

If you need translation of something specific give me a pm

Hans

Back