People who have no respect for your work...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mar_mite":u9l1v9df said:
Tenuous claim to fame.. My brother made the wands for the first (2 I think) Harry potter films. He is a prop maker.

I know a few film guys, shepperton studios is literally at the end of my road. Good game to be in when it's busy but it has been up and down a few years now.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

My younger brother did a course on stage management, as a fallback course alongside his acting (which since finishing he's done several small group theatre tours) - I think part of that was to do with props and such. Industrial Light and Magic (ILM - the Star Wars guys) used be hands on props building, and the 2 young guys from Mythbusters; Grant (robots and electronics) and Tory are both ex employees of ILM.

ALL of the props for the lord of the rings films - literally everything you see, furniture; silverware, as well as the more obvious costumes and weapons were made by craftsmen. (even the coins in Desolation of Smaug were struck in a mint as proper coins, tens of thousands of them).

You might want to look at the credits next time you watch them and make a note of where they came from as doubtless it will be a series of company names and go from there; contact them and see what courses and skills they recommend.

Long time a go I had a school friend, who's father made the marines armour suits for Alien 3. He was an old fashioned armour replica maker, but had the right skills for what they wanted. He brought one home and let me put it on.

Certain crafts; armour / swords / old serving ware (plates goblets etc) / medievel style furniture etc etc are practiced by only a handful of people compared to other trades, so your work would have a greater chance of being noticed, or skills needed by a prop making company.

Even though CGI has taken off in a big way - Harry Potter, LOTR and The Hobbit has proved there's a real demand for old fashioned proper actors on a set with realistic props, the way it was done in the golden era of films.

(Harrison Ford btw was a chippie on set of Star Wars and was asked to fill in to speak some lines in script rehearsal while the main actors went through them and the rest is history...).

rafezetter":15cw2dfi said:
(Harrison Ford btw was a chippie on set of Star Wars and was asked to fill in to speak some lines in script rehearsal while the main actors went through them and the rest is history...).

Fascinating - that explains why he looked so comfortable raising a barn in Witness

KevM":19f35ev0 said:
rafezetter":19f35ev0 said:

Fascinating - that explains why he looked so comfortable raising a barn in Witness

Bit of an urban myth. His first known part was an uncredited role as a bellhop in Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round (1966). He took up carpentry between acting roles and first worked for George Lucas building cabinets at his home and was later cast in American Graffiti (1973).

Latest posts

Back