Penny's Workshop WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny

Established Member
Reaction score
I decided that my 8' x 10' crappilly built shed was too small for a workshop. So I'm getting a 10' x 16 instead. Now, being a disabled Veteran there are plenty of things I can't do. Like digging, lifting, laying slabs etc. So a pair of lovely lads from a Charity called Outpost (http://www.outpostcharity.org) did a 400+ mile round trip to level the ground and lay the slabs. Strong wind and intermittent rain didn't put them off. My son helped for a wee while in the morning before heading off to visit relatives (He is a Serviceman, en-route from his posting in Germany to a new posting in Brunei).

Attachments

• 20150307_180606.jpg
    20150307_180606.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,773
  • 20150307_162317.jpg
    20150307_162317.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,773
  • 20150307_141143.jpg
    20150307_141143.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,773
  • 20150307_124148 (2).jpg
    20150307_124148 (2).jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 1,773
Looks like a good start. Looking forward to the next instalment...love a workshop build!

A 10' X 16' Workshop will be a good size and the slabbed area looks humongous!
Do you have an internal layout organised yet?
I ALWAYS love a WIP, please keep posting.
Regards Rodders

houtslager":1mpd4al2 said:
good for you Penny, by the way what regt. is your son in ? A lovely posting is Brunia,, I always wanted it, but all I got was Germany :/

He's a LCpl in the RAMC. He joined at 16 and has now served 5 years. Go on, ask me how proud I am of him!

blackrodd":1zq1qluk said:
A 10' X 16' Workshop will be a good size and the slabbed area looks humongous!
Do you have an internal layout organised yet?
I ALWAYS love a WIP, please keep posting.
Regards Rodders

I have a rough idea. I have an Ikea shelving unit in my 8' x 10' which will go on the far wall. My workbench (which needs rebuilding) under the window on the left of the double doors, Lathe with a canopy on the right. Pillar Drill and Bandsaw in a flip-over cabinet near the lathe. Mitre saw built into a flip unit that (if I plan it right!) will flip under the workbench leaving a worktop filling the space, and when flipped up the bed should be level with the bench. That'll leave me a clear space for construction on the floor.

As I'm disabled my bench is higher than average so I don't have to bend too much, and I also have a pair of high bar stools so I can sit when I need to, also I'll have a rolling low seat to work on the bottom of larger items.

Hi Penny,

A 10 x 16 sounds great. Mine is an 8 x 14 and it's a little small. I wished I had more width - 10' would make a huge difference. I can't widen it anymore because the greenhouse is in the way.

John

If you don't mind me asking;
You are not wheel chair bound then? I would imagine to be so would make using a bench saw or planer,
needing plenty of space, as well as lower benches.
What do you anticipate making in the new workshop?
Regards Rodders

I'm not in a wheelchair, but I need a stick. My spine is damaged - I damaged 2 discs about 10 years ago whilst at the same time breaking my neck. The neck fracture healed to about 80%, but the discs were never treated (Army doc thought it was just pain from turning at the waist to compensate for not being able to turn my head properly). The discs have now calcified and scarred my spinal column. It means I have problems bending and twisting, I can't lift much weight and my right leg sometimes just collapses. Anyway, I digress...

I am now making wooden toys and home decor items. It's just for a bit of pocket money really. It also helps me deal with psychological injuries also caused by Army service. Very good therapy!

Hi Penny,

Hope the workshop build goes well, i am disabled (my leg) but get back problems from standing. I have quite high benches and find these help, but thought i would reply as i have found that a modern type of piano stool is ideal for me. It is one that has thd handle to raise it up and down and they go almost as high as a bar stool. I tried a few other chairs before finding this is ideal so thought it worth passing on.

Nick

Back