Penguin Isokon Donkey wip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few screws might help in that shelf, as it's being painted you can get away with a lot more.

For filler I'd use two pack all over it, with a flexible filler knife or stiff rubber squeegy or something to pull it over the whole surface into the grain, leaving it a bit thicker on the end grain especially. Then sand, and repeat with the filler. Then two or three coats of undercoat, flatting off gently between coats with some fine sandpaper (320 ish). The ply has a bit of a coarse grain so the more prep the better the finish coat. If you can bear it, hit it a bit harder after the third coat and repeat that all again.

I assume it's handpainting, if you can get hold of it I really recommend Tikkurila Helmi paint, with a microfibre roller and then tipping it off, massively improved my painting (see traditionalpainter.com for some tutorials, but nb the Helmi used to be called Feelings so it might be under that name).

Thanks Jake. Sounds like a lot of work and again, potential for me to mess up! If I loved the thing I'd do as you suggest - the pics you linked to in the other thread show a really smooth surface to the cases, which i think looks great. But tbh I think I'll go for 'truth to materials'( :D ) on this and leave the grain and just fill where really necessary. Out of interest tho, is this the kind of filler you had in mind?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-EVBH ... 628&sr=8-2
I'd not seen it before.

As for the painting - I'm going to look at that site today, I've never got beyond prime, undercoat, top coat with as few brush marks as possible, which has frequently let me down i think.

ps Is it best to do a coat of primer before doing any filling, so the gaps show more clearly?
and
Does this need aluminium primer as it's apparently a hardwood outer, or will any primer do?

On reflection, I think I'm nearly done - just need to dismantle again, get all edges flush and clean and then hand it over - I've gone off the idea of filling and painting! I ran out of the ply he brought so used a scrap of beech ply for the shelf.
IMG_20200614_134557.jpg

IMG_20200614_134546.jpg

IMG_20200614_134607.jpg

If I'm honest, I'm really pleased with it and a bit surprised it worked out ok.
Thanks for all the support, both technical and moral!
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_20200614_134557.jpg
    IMG_20200614_134557.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_20200614_134546.jpg
    IMG_20200614_134546.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_20200614_134607.jpg
    IMG_20200614_134607.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 324
Congratulations!

Now you just need to make another one, to keep for yourself. ;)

What an excellent job. Encourages me to have a go in Autumn (too much outdoor work for now).

My ever-wandering mind thinks of a herd (team?), not just book donkeys. Slide up easel from an inner face = artists donkey, no shelves one side so you can store music, other side shelved for flute, trumpet, clarinet... Slide up music stand = musicians donkey. Open shelves for glasses one side, other side closed in with hinged lid to keep bottles = cocktail donkey. Open shelves for glasses and cradle for barrel on top with tap at one end = beer donkey. Panel with speakers and a dismemberd CD player reassembled inside = stereo donkey. Mock head rising from one end, one pannier with hinged lid one with shelves = child's toy donkey. Store stones on the shelves and arrange trebuchet in the middle = siege donkey. Better stop now.

Really good result. Thanks for sharing each step Chris.

For future reference, yes, that's the type of filler. Paint's all in the dull preparation. I usually do filler before undercoat, sand back, undercoat and then spot-fill. But for a present, more truth to materials sounds like a very sensible path!

Brilliant!

I've been hankering after making one of these having had a genuine Isokon Donkey Mk2 back in the 1960s (no idea what happened to it :()

There's an old thread that I brought back to life yesterday - but this one, which I had missed, is really helpful - has it been painted/finished yet? - be interested to see some pics. My plan is beech legs (stained to ginger-ish colour as the original) but to make the boxes and sheld between the legs from 12mm top grade birch ply and leave exposed edges, just finished with OSMO Top Oil. To make it I'm going to try and cut all the components before assembly - it's getting the angles right that's the challenge. I've hunted high and low but nobody seems to have any drawings - couple of Sketch-up designs but not very useful.

Assuming I manage to make it I'll then buy a load of the old-style Penguin books with coloured covers to fill it - I already have a complete wall of bookshelves - the donkey will be used as an occasional table next to my replica Eames chair and foot-stool.

HOJ on the other donkey thread has uploaded a pdf working drawing that's almost a cut-list. I'll probably post my progress on that thread (it may be sloooooow!)

has it been painted/finished yet?
Sorry robgul, I just found this via your thread in the Design section! It was painted by the friend who asked me to make it for his son - looked nice but tbh if I did it again, I think I'd use mdf or better ply, or follow Jake's guidance on getting a good finish. Funny thing is, after all my struggles to figure out angles etc from pics online, it turned out last summer while chatting with a friend across the road that he has an original in his attic! Still, you seem to have some decent plans now - did you get it finished?
I couldn't have done the piece without the help on here, especially AndyT - I took a break for several months last year and haven't seen any of his posts since I returned, has he gone elsewhere? If so, it's a real shame, he was great to read/ follow, esp in his WIPs.

Thanks - I've simply not had time to get started with my project . . . the major projects with garden stuff and jobs (like making gates) for customers is now complete so just maybe . ..

Have to say I favour using top quality ply and leaving it raw as I rather like the exposed edges - and it would match our dining table and a single-drawer console table I made last year.

AND if your friend wants to sell his original he'll get a BIG price for it - prices on ebay etc are crazy.

Yes, as I recall, it was during lock down and I wanted to use wood I already had here, decent birch ply would have been much nicer. And I may have words with the other friend about the one in his attic, just in case he doesn't realise what it might be worth. :)
I found this on my phone, Rob - sharing as the thread never reached its conclusion! Looks fine at a distance, I never saw it close up after painting.
181674597_4225069387526490_4193708090700124431_n.jpg

Yes, as I recall, it was during lock down and I wanted to use wood I already had here, decent birch ply would have been much nicer. And I may have words with the other friend about the one in his attic, just in case he doesn't realise what it might be worth. :)
I found this on my phone, Rob - sharing as the thread never reached its conclusion! Looks fine at a distance, I never saw it close up after painting.
View attachment 109558
Tut, tut - attention to detail - the tops of the legs were rounded over on the John Alan 60s version :):)
Looks good.

Back