Penetrating Expoy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the application? I've found warming the wood and using standard epoxy with slow hardener works well. There are some very contradictory reports (mostly bad) about so-called penetrating epoxies.

I have spent most of my working life in the boat trade & have seen a lot of penetrating epoxies used on old boats. It is marketed as a cures all ills panacea & many people get sucked into this idea.
It has its uses but for large items like boats it very rarely works & in fact often causes far more problems than if the boat had been fixed properly in the first place.
The prime example was a 40ft motor yacht built by Morgan giles in the early 60's, she had spent most of her life on the upper Thames & on coming down the tideway was hauled on the slipway at the yard i worked because of some persistent leaks. She had been treated extensively with Git Rot penetrating epoxy. It hadnt worked & the rot had spread far & wide. We ended up taking out & replacing half of one side & bottom before the owner ran out of money & called it a day. At that point we just patched her up as best we could to get her afloat.
Three days later she sailed for Calais via Ramsgate & disapeared. An extensive air sea rescue found her tied up on the river swale her owner having omitted to tell anyone of his change of plan.
None of us who worked on her forgot that queasy feeling wondering if she had sunk on account of us not being able to finish the job properly.
Penetrating epoxy = Snake oil.

I am making a single bed for my little ones out of oak and there is a small amount of rot on one of the rails and i want to firm it up!

GrahamF":3m8isnee said:
What's the application? I've found warming the wood and using standard epoxy with slow hardener works well. There are some very contradictory reports (mostly bad) about so-called penetrating epoxies.

Suffolkboy":39pf5fpe said:
cut the rot out fully and glue in a piece of oak to replace. Fit the repair somewhere where it is hidden. Or use another piece of oak.

This is the best scenario - however if this is beyond your skill level or the rot is a small concealable patch - rather than running right through it - you could use "wet rot wood hardener" - which is a .. *cough*.. penetrating epoxy that will harden up "spongy" wood, sufficiently for most tasks.

Apply generously until it'll take no more. If painting, the area can then be filled, sanded and painted as normal.

Some will considere it a "bodge", ignore them, the wood will be as hard or harder in that area so structural strength isn't an issue.

phil.p":r23dg5hr said:
Wood hardeners are one part and I would have thought, a CA.

I've used CA - the really runny kind - for small areas of soft wood and it works a treat, it depends on the size of the area the OP is asking about.

Latest posts

Back