Pen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't made a pen since I started turning last year, so thought it was about time. Its just a cheap kit from Axminster, the blank is called "festive maxi' (I think). The reviews slate it for exploding if you use a barrel trimmer, I used the sanding disc on my lathe.
I'm not overly happy with the shape, I don't have a mandrel at the moment so I turned the blanks separately using tbc drives. So the 2 halves aren't a great match.
Finished with about 4-5 coats of Chestnut melamine lacquer and a buff with carnauba.

edit: just noticed I need to press the clip end down a bit more.

Attachments

• IMG_0492-2.jpg
    IMG_0492-2.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 56
Nice effect, that.
Don't beat yourself up over it not turning out as well as you want - still looks nice.
I've found pens quite frustrating, tbh. Some work well and others I wonder why I bothered, yet can't always work out what I must've done differently

Thank you Greg.

Phil, I agree its a little chunky. Annoyingly, I made one (using the same kit) they day I got my first lathe and that one is better than this :ROFLMAO: Thanks for the link to those punches. Might be a good idea to get some.(y)

I'm going to get a mandrel again soon, the last pens I made were single tube so I used between centre drives. That makes (imo) 2 tube pens a bit more awkward as you have to do one at a time.

I think that's why it turned out a bit mediocre..yep, blame the bushings. Nothing to do with my ability..honest:whistle:

I found out about the transfer punches from one of the training videos - Taylor's, Iirc - they make dismantling pens so much easier. If you look for a mandrel, be aware that many (most) of the Chinese ones are 6mm not 1/4" - there'll be a bit of slack you don't really want if you're using British bushes.

That makes (imo) 2 tube pens a bit more awkward as you have to do one at a time.

That's where the drill gauges come in handy - it's only an approximate measurement, so if you find one piece sticks through a hole by say 3mm and the other by only 1mm, you know they don't match - the actual measurement is immaterial.

There are specially designed pens for those who have difficulty griping a normal pen. I came across them many years ago, so if you search the net you may be able to find them. I tried to search but this site may help Amazon.co.uk : arthritis pen grip it is not the pen I was thinking about but may be useful

where would you buy say 25 pen kits (solid brass) for the thinner pens, perhaps not a clicker.....
all I found was a £5'er or more......I get cross eyed looking at the Chinese web sites like Bangood...just to much junk.....

It's once Covid is over and the tourist come back.....I'll be offereing a wood work school for the renters that are interested....

It is a little fat, I think this is something all beginners do - I've remade some of my earlier ones because they were too heavy. These are useful for comparative measurements - Blue Sky Set of 2 Stainless Steel Drill Gauges Metric & Imperial Gauge 1-13mm 1/16-1/2": Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
and if you need to take the pens apart (which you will do at some stage) a set of transfer punches are invaluable.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352587762056
Hi Phil,
How do you use transfer punches to dismantle pens?
D.

Hi Phil,
D.
I think you go through the nib and punch out the transmission and then punch out the nib from the opening the transmission left.

Just noticed your location. I live pretty close to Ramsbottom and used to cycle there a lot (mainly to go up the Rake).

It's not so much that you actually need the transfer punches, but that they give an easy way to get longer rods of various diameters at reasonable cost. Here's what I've found so far about using them. Linky

G.

Hi Phil,
D.
Just use them as a drifts - you'll find one that near enough fits the tube. I can usually dismantle them in my hand if needed but I did have to put one in a vice as I was hammering on a plastic not metal insert. Obviously the more you make the less likely you are to need to do it.

I got the idea from a (iirc) Taylor Mirfield video on their site.

I think you go through the nib and punch out the transmission and then punch out the nib from the opening the transmission left.

I think it’s the other way round….,
Remove refill and use that hole to punch out the nib then use the hole left by the nib to push out the mechanism.

I think it’s the other way round….,
Remove refill and use that hole to punch out the nib then use the hole left by the nib to push out the mechanism.
Knowing how my brain works (or doesn't), I'd guess the way you described is correct. I did watch a video a long time ago on dismantling using transfer punches but my memory isn't great.

Cheers, Phil, Scooby, and Gordon.
Scooby, if you cycled up the Rake you have my sincere admiration!!!
D.
I've been up it about 10 times, the last time was 2013. I used to cycle a lot then and was pretty thin/fit and it was still a brutal climb. The 'ride ruiner' I used to call it. Definitely a morbid fascination:confused:.
I plan to start cycling again soon as I need to lose a lot of weight and I'll be heading up at some point to see if I can still do it.
Sorry to go OT.

Latest posts

Back