Pen - what wood? ....a very small competition....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrums":2ka8yyi3 said:
.... and most people will see one every day........

It was this part of your question that puzzled me, i can only think at this time of year that it has something to do with the tree in the front room.

Have you made it from last years Christmas tree :lol: :lol:

The only tree I can guarantee to see everyday is a Conifer!!

Surely not!

....well, maybe not every day, but definitely not unusual - suppose it depends where you live and whether you're looking.... :lol:

Chris

ummm... English & Common...?

don't much look like it, but i'm gonna try Oak with a very nice ripple through it.....

Nick

....come on guys (...and Alf) nobody's even got the tree yet - I'd be very suprised if you got the other bit though.....

It's a common tree, not an ornamental, not a shrub or even a large shrub. It doesn't grow mega big, but doesn't embarass itself in the tree stakes.....

7 hours, 11 minutes to the sudden death play-off......

What about the old favourite... Beech..? (don't think it's been mentioned yet). Complete with the beginnings of a bit of spalting..?

Nick

*** just spotted that Beech has been mentioned... so it's obviously not that ***

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, there we go then....might as well put you all out of your misery.....

tulsk has it - Silver Birch Canker !

I picked it up a couple of years ago, (thinking it was a burr) put it in the kiln and totally forgot about it - seeing it on a shelf a couple of days ago, thought ...'it's not a burr......just firewood...' until I chopped it in half and saw the quilting/ripple running through it.

Apparently it's a fungus that starts it, getting into a wound on the tree.

If tulsk would like to pm me his address I'll get some stuff off to him on Monday.

Cheers

Chris.

Back