pen turning.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean.brock

Established Member
Reaction score
ok after many attempts (2 or 3) to get a decent 2nd hand lathe, i've given up (for now).

Initially i was wanting to make pens and then move up in size once i got the hang of it.

I have seen some small lathes going quite cheap, but what do i need for pen turning ie can anyone recommend a decent little (cheap ish) pen lathe. am i rgith in thinking they're the portable type.

I've already got some pen blanks, thanks to a very kind person on the forum, so i just need to get the workings and mandrels. and obviously the lathe.

i looked at this page http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Clar ... athes.html

could i get the smaller of the 2 lathes (20") and then upgrade with the parts below

Hi Sean - wouldn't like to recommend a lathe without knowing your budget (and remember Oldsoke's words of wisdom - "you can turn small items on a big lathe,but not vice versa" :wink: )
however,if you think you will only want to turn pens,then you are correct that the smaller portable lathes would do you.The Perform CCSL is currently on offer at Axminster for under £100,and although speed change is via the pulley,if only pen-turning then you can just leave it in top speed.
I used to have the small Clarke lathe;don't know which accessories you were thinking of adding,but don't bother with the chuck - each jaw is adjusted seperately,so is a pig to centre :(
Have a look at pen mandrels and accessories,and check the availability in different thread sizes - the Clarke is 3/4" x 16tpi,and the Perform 1" x 8tpi (no good getting a lathe that is hard to find extra's for)

Hope this helps :D (although it probably only confuses :lol: )

Andrew

sean, i agree with andrew. ive been turning pens for a couple of months now and i have a fox midi lathe, which suits me fine for now. but if you get a bench top model keep the shavings away from the motor as it will get hot. :wink:

Hi Sean... pity you can't make it along to the Coltwolds bash... there'll be a few brains there ripe for picking :lol:

Back