Pen Turning newbie....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padster

Established Member
Reaction score
All,

I'm embarking on a new adventure - namely pen turning as I had a Proxxon DB250 mini lathe that was no longer being used, being Father's Day this weekend was asked what I wanted so repurposing this seemed a good idea.... I found a few issues but believe I have most things I need now, mandrel, blanks, drill bits' tools etc...I'm going to make a jig for drilling the blanks on my drill press... but have one question what glue for the tubes into the blanks and is there somewhere best to get it?

As an aside if anyone knows of anywhere that does a modified tool rest (slightly longer) for the DB250 let me know! (can't do metal work and don't have tools so can't make one either!).

Thanks in advance

Padster

What diameter is the post? You could probably find a rest from another lathe that would fit. Glue? CA, epoxy or even PU. I don't like CA, personally, I find epoxy better. I rarely use PU but find handy if the hole is slightly over sized - if you stand the tube up the glue expands and seems to centralise the tube quite well.
If you fill the end of the tube when you push it through it stops it filling with glue - some people use dental wax or blu tack, but a plug of potato works. I've found recently that the easiest thing to do is wax the inside of the tube - obviously it doesn't stop the glue entering but you can peel it out when it's setting.

What diameter is the post? You could probably find a rest from another lathe that would fit. Glue? CA, epoxy or even PU. I don't like CA, personally, I find epoxy better. I rarely use PU but find handy if the hole is slightly over sized - if you stand the tube up the glue expands and seems to centralise the tube quite well.
If you fill the end of the tube when you push it through it stops it filling with glue - some people use dental wax or blu tack, but a plug of potato works. I've found recently that the easiest thing to do is wax the inside of the tube - obviously it doesn't stop the glue entering but you can peel it out when it's setting.
Thanks for the advice @Phil Pascoe any particular brands of glue? Like the idea of the plug makes sense
As for the post well doesn't really have one per se at least not the same as a traditional lathe in my opinion Proxxon DB250

Regards

Padster

All,

I'm embarking on a new adventure - namely pen turning as I had a Proxxon DB250 mini lathe that was no longer being used, being Father's Day this weekend was asked what I wanted so repurposing this seemed a good idea.... I found a few issues but believe I have most things I need now, mandrel, blanks, drill bits' tools etc...I'm going to make a jig for drilling the blanks on my drill press... but have one question what glue for the tubes into the blanks and is there somewhere best to get it?

As an aside if anyone knows of anywhere that does a modified tool rest (slightly longer) for the DB250 let me know! (can't do metal work and don't have tools so can't make one either!).

Thanks in advance

Padster
Hi,
I used to use superglue when I was making pens, you just need to get them together before it starts to dry. Use the tail stock to press them together.
Regards,
Dave

All,

In case anyone is interested here is the set-up I got working.

Proxxon DB250
3 Jaw chuck, jaws reversed
1MT Mandrel (Axminster)

Noteworthy: The mandrel will also fit the 10mm collet just, but I had the chuck and prefer it this way.

IMG_1994.jpeg

Regards

Padster

I use gorilla PU glue. I don't like CA because I have been a bit slow in the past and had the odd tube stuck half way. I find it hard to get a good coverage too

For acrylic blanks, I would use some epoxy. I paint both the tube and the hole first- paint colour makes a huge difference- black and white make the blank look completely different.

I use epoxy by choice, but find PU useful if the hole is slightly oversized - just stand the blank up and the glue expands evenly to keep the tube on centre. It works, you just need to ensure the bottom end of the blank is near square as there isn't much left to play with.

I can see the challenge regarding the tool rest. I had one made by Stiles and Bates some years ago for my little Perform lathe. It has a more traditional post design, but they were immensely helpful about sizing and design, giving me the longest rest I could get away with on my machine. I’m sure they’d try and help if they can!

I can see the challenge regarding the tool rest. I had one made by Stiles and Bates some years ago for my little Perform lathe. It has a more traditional post design, but they were immensely helpful about sizing and design, giving me the longest rest I could get away with on my machine. I’m sure they’d try and help if they can!
That sounds interesting, do you have contact details I don’t know of them.

Thanks

Padster

Back