Pen Turning attachment advice wanted please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luddite

Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed on a few video's that they have in their lathe's a rod which appears to fit either side of a blank.

If I understand it correctly you shape it to each side of the rod and it will then fit the pen kit.

Does anyone know what they are called and where I would purchase one from please

thanks

What you are after is a mandrel set Axminster do them as well as many suppliers HERE is one to give you an idea what to look for. On top of that you may need to buy bushes to suit the pen being turned

Here you go.
Most of the turning suppliers have their own version of a mandrel.
some points to take note of
1. you don't need special little tools - full size gouges will do, and you can make a simple straightish barrelled one from start to finish using just a roughing gouge or a skew chisel or spindle gouge, basically anything you can remove wood with smoothly.
2. Stick with the PA finish :) - it can be a little tricky to get the hang of finishing with CA and BLO but it works really well as a hard wearing finish.
3. Different pen kits use different size bushes - they're generally the size of the metal bits in the pen kit and you turn the wood to match the bush. You will also find that a different size drill bit may be required for a different kit and they're usually imperial sizes not metric except for the bog standard 7mm one.
(uk drills do every size you could ever want and cheap too)
4. You dont need a pen press.
5. use a sliced potato/ plasticine etc to fill the pen tube ends before gluing, cos otherwise you'll have to try and get the glue out of the tube before you can assemble the pen.

[youtube]J7MmPCFe1Y0[/youtube]

nev":26xd7fdv said:
4. You don't need a pen press
I have just bought a basic kit that only focusses on turning the blanks - it just says assemble the parts without saying how the "press" part is done. What is an easy to use method that doesn't require a pen press?

I don't have a press and have done a range of pens without.

I use either a pair of blank arbours in the lathe https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogu ... End-Arbors, and slowly advance the tailstock to press the parts in or use an f clamp to do the same.

in my opinion, the blank arbours are better for a tenner. I put a bit of tissue between the pen and the clamp/arbour to stop any scratches.

Simon_M":30pzkysd said:
nev":30pzkysd said:
I have just bought a basic kit that only focusses on turning the blanks - it just says assemble the parts without saying how the "press" part is done. What is an easy to use method that doesn't require a pen press?

In a vice or use a pillar drill as a press or a tap with a small pin hammer with the blank between two pieces of softwood or even a big pair of stilsons. There is not a lot of pressure required, just make sure it goes together straight.

nev":sjo29rrl said:
Simon_M":sjo29rrl said:
nev":sjo29rrl said:
In a vice or use a pillar drill
Good idea, it's of course, much easier than I imagined - thanks Nev :D

I will use my pillar drill as a press, with some offcuts ...

• Small turned wooden foot/button with a tenon to support it at the top with the chuck
    Small wooden cube with a cut out square section on one edge to provide the necessary vertical support underneath on the table
I'll post a picture if it works!

Simon, just remember what Nev said and be very careful to align it properly especially as you start pressing or you'll bend the mechanism. Start slowly with care!

Back