Pen turners please read - UKW mini competition!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As you may have seen i am working on a burr brown oak davenport at the moment ( started-a-new-project-today-t58408.html ) and the timber is some of the best burr timber I have ever worked and there is going to be several small off cuts of the very burred timber from the edges of the burr.

Normally these go off-cuts go to the woodburner but this timber is just too good for that and would be perfect for pen blanks.

My suggestion is:-

Those interested in taking part add their names to this thread - Sorry but only open to UK members

When I have finished the carcase construction at the end of next week I will then divvy up the off-cuts sending each person who has expressed interest enough wood to turn a pen or two. By accepting the wood you confirm you will turn the pen for judging and post a picture of it on the forum.

You will then post a picture of the pen you have turned using this timber and wish to show on the forum

After the cut off date that I will set then myself and another forum member (to be confirmed) will judge the pictures

A winner will be chosen and as a prize I will send the winner a box of mixed offcuts/timber from my store including more burr oak, lacewood, yew, walnut, Cherry,etc etc. sufficient to turn quite a few pens anyway. FREEE WOOD!! :mrgreen:

I will cover all postage costs and there will be no entry fee or anything so all you have to do is the turning.

If you want to take part get your name posted below

Rog

What a wonderful idea Rog, and thank you for the idea, the time and the postage costs!

Please count me in - and I look forward to it.

count me in please (as long as the deadline for turning isn't too short... limited to weekend turning only!! and the blanks are quite fat... i do like fat pens!!!)

Wow what a result! :D

I will give it another day before I close the offer and will then give you a few weeks to turn your pens - I started making a pile of pen sized offcuts today :mrgreen:

After I close the thread I will ask you all to pm me your name/address to send out some timber

I like it when a plan comes together!

Hi

I am not a pen maker so have not put my name in the hat, but thought your offer was extremely generous and congratulate you on a great idea.

I look forward to seeing all the entries

Good on yer Dodge

Good this forum innit :lol:

Latest posts

Back