• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

pen presentation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I need some packaging for something similar to a pen. It will not necessarily be used for storage after it has been bought but may be. It needs to protect the item during postage, and be reasonably readily available- numbers don't warrant custom packaging.

Does anybody use these or similar? http://www.turnerscabin.co.uk/index.php ... cts_id=382

I am not bothered whether it is polystyrene, plastic, or something with a cardboard slip. Does anybody have any suggestions.

On some pieces, I have seen people fill cracks and knots with aluminium filings. What do I need to search for to buy some?

Fiddler

Established Member
Reaction score
How about plastic water pipe from the DIY store? I received a violin bow from America packed in a plastic 2" pipe with no damage whatsoever.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
it needs to look a bit more professional than that, and needs a case of some form, i think. Good idea for posting other things in though.

Spindle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Be aware that those pen cases have a clip moulded onto the base - the clip is only large enough to retain a very slimline pen.

Regards Mick

Neil Farrer

Established Member
Reaction score
Not too sure what you're after but these are the things I use, the slot takes anything from a PSI executive pen right up to a 16mm diameter chunky Majestic or Gentlemens/Chairmans/Sr Gents pen. It will take a slim line if they are turned with a wide top or bottom. The foam is coated with brush nylon.

Your other options in addition to the plastic box that you found which only take a straight turned slimline or fancy pen are acrylic tubes - part number ST111 from turners retreat - might be what you're after.

Attachments

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of the plastic slide together tubes or boxes like drills and cutters etc come in....
Capable of taking a good knock or two without breaking and I imagine they are fairly cheap.

They come in all kinds of sizes too, and obviously the length is adjustable.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Neil Farrer":2s382me5 said:
Not too sure what you're after but these are the things I use, the slot takes anything from a PSI executive pen right up to a 16mm diameter chunky Majestic or Gentlemens/Chairmans/Sr Gents pen. It will take a slim line if they are turned with a wide top or bottom. The foam is coated with brush nylon.

Your other options in addition to the plastic box that you found which only take a straight turned slimline or fancy pen are acrylic tubes - part number ST111 from turners retreat - might be what you're after.
These would be ideal, except that there is a bent wire piece on the end of the tool, so the cutout wouldnt fit. I wonder whether it could be modified slightly by cutting a channel with a dremel?

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Hitch":7nwmklk2 said:
I was thinking of the plastic slide together tubes or boxes like drills and cutters etc come in....
Capable of taking a good knock or two without breaking and I imagine they are fairly cheap.

They come in all kinds of sizes too, and obviously the length is adjustable.
Thanks Hitch. I am going to have a look at these. Something that I hadnt considered, but may just do the trick.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
nev":1mqhruo2 said:
No- there is a piece of wire sticking out of the end that rules out anythink like that. The overall size becomes 40mm wide or so.

I did find on turners retreat a version of the one that I linked to for larger pens.

Packaging in small quantities is a nightmare to get! There are many things out there that would do, but only sensible for 1000's at a time.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you Nick. I emailed turner retreat, who have a couple of different ones like that, but they say that the clip is 7-8mm with no give in it.

I am leaning towards Nev's pricey option- it looks like it will show the product off nicely.