pen presentation boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
hi folks
I need some pen presentation cases that i can attach an engraved name plate to. for single designer/ euro pens and not too pricey :wink: . I dont think the usual velvety covered hard cases i usually use would be suitable.
any suggestions anyone?
cheers

Hi Nev

If you are using wooden boxes and attaching a brass plate to them this is rather expensive.

I am a woodturner/cabinet maker and laser-engraver and I can laser engrave names/wording etc onto wooden boxes.
You can view some of my engravings etc at www.pensofdistinction.co.uk

This works out far quicker than getting someone to do brass plates for you and is permanent, plus you dont have the alignment problems you would normally have in trying to make everything square.

cheers

Mike

acewoodturner":jwl0migg said:
Hi Nev

If you are using wooden boxes and attaching a brass plate to them this is rather expensive.

I am a woodturner/cabinet maker and laser-engraver and I can laser engrave names/wording etc onto wooden boxes.
You can view some of my engravings etc at http://www.pensofdistinction.co.uk

This works out far quicker than getting someone to do brass plates for you and is permanent, plus you dont have the alignment problems you would normally have in trying to make everything square.

cheers

Mike

Cheers Mike,
a bit late for the batch I am doing at the moment but good too know, as I was asked if i could actually engrave the pens themselves, but said no, but i could put a plate on a box, so thats what we went with.
a few questions if i may...
is the laser engraving effectively a pyro at a distance ? i.e. burnt in/on
can you engrave somebody else's pens (mine :) ) and at what stage of pen development is the engraving done? I would guess post abrasive/ pre finish?
if engraving a pen does the barrel need to be straight or can bulged/ rounded also be done?
can any font be used?
If engraving a wooden box are there any restrictions as to the wood used for its construction?
am i asking too many questions :wink:
cheers again

Hi Nev

The laser is controlled by software from the computer. It is actually a very focused beam of light which burns the material being engraved is a fast and accurate way. It can engrave at up to 1000 dpi although 300dpi is sufficient for timber. The closer graind timbers such as beech and cherry are the best as you good engravings on them compared to open grained timbers such as ash and oak. There is no restrictions on the wood type but the lighter colour of woods engrave better due to the difference in colour between the engraving and the unengraved surface.
I can engrave pens as I sit them in a small jig. Obviously there is not a lot of room and I find that names or web addresses are the best for pens.
On the boxes there is a lot of room for wordings such as happy birthday, Merry Christmas, congratulations on your graduation and so on. I can engrave company logos and other such items. I will not engrave branding / logos of companies that are copyright ie Coca Cola, unless you are doing an order for Coca Cola and the artwork is officially supplied.
The engraving can only be done on a flat surface or one with a slight curve. Ie down the length of a barrel.

The way that I operate is that someone can give me a quick call and let me know whats required and I can give advice and a price and discuss payment methods. The pens are then posted to my workshop and are posted back at the customer's expense. I charge £2.50 per logo/name and slightly more if there are a lot of words. You can contact me on 07769703520 up till about 10pm and at weekends as well.

Nev, if you can pyro things then you can burn the names on with pyrography like this

LeRelaispens2.jpg

Just needs a bit of practice, and a reasonable hot wire pyro pen kit and the world is yer oyster!!

Back