Pen mandrel for 3/4" 16tpi headstock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jongwe

Reaction score
I have a lathe with a 3/4"x16tpi thread on the headstock and am looking for a pen mandrel to fit. So far I have found only one on Amazon, but it is from an overseas seller and I would rather not go down that route.

I have also looked on Charnwood and Record Power who have quite a few bits and pieces for the 3/4"x16tpi, but have had no luck.

Does anyone know where I might possibly find a pen mandrel that will fit my lathe?

Many thanks.

I would buy a collet chuck and a piece of the correct sized silversteel. I can't remember if it is 1/4 or metric. Length adjustment may be an issue, but you could pack it out with spacers.

Before spending too much, a solid headstock is going to be a pain with many things, eg centres. If you can get a centre to fit, I would turn pens between centres for minimal outlay and save £40 towards an upgrade. Thee is nothing around with not using a pen mandrel, I prefer to not use one and do it between centres.

marcros":spnqp8oq said:
I would buy a collet chuck and a piece of the correct sized silversteel. I can't remember if it is 1/4 or metric. Length adjustment may be an issue, but you could pack it out with spacers.

Before spending too much, a solid headstock is going to be a pain with many things, eg centres. If you can get a centre to fit, I would turn pens between centres for minimal outlay and save £40 towards an upgrade. Thee is nothing around with not using a pen mandrel, I prefer to not use one and do it between centres.
Thanks will give that a go.

IF you already have a chuck of some description any (1MT?) mandrel could be used. Simply clamp the MT in the chuck. You will be supporting the other end with the tailstock so no worries about the taper slipping out.
If you have a faceplate affix a 2 - 3 inch block of wood and drill a hole in the centre (on the lathe) about the diameter of two thirds the way up the taper. Again the tailstock will prevent the mandrel leaving the block.

nev":12vrvrce said:
IF you already have a chuck of some description any (1MT?) mandrel could be used. Simply clamp the MT in the chuck. You will be supporting the other end with the tailstock so no worries about the taper slipping out.
If you have a faceplate affix a 2 - 3 inch block of wood and drill a hole in the centre (on the lathe) about the diameter of two thirds the way up the taper. Again the tailstock will prevent the mandrel leaving the block.
Thanks Nev. Brilliant ideas. Got both of those, so can give them a try.

Back