Pen making (bush sizes) question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luddite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have now done a few slimline pens and am happy.

I however want to move on to the more expensive kits and have noticed various kit's + the bushes being sold together and I don't wish to purchase that way.

I would prefer to either make my own (I do have a metal lathe) or buy, say a "Set" of bushes that covers most popular kits such a sierra etc.

Is there a simple way of finding out the dimensions of various bushes, or can I just buy a pack to suit the popular ones as I mentioned above.

Really would appreciate any help given thank you.

PS.
Just in case anyone has missed it, there's a "MAKERS" show on at the NEC Birmingham this Sat-sun 11 & 12 may.

Bush sizes are usually in the instructions. Some places put the instructions on the website, or you can google them, or even just email the company and ask for a PDF.
When I do make a pen I just measure the parts of the kit and make my own bushes. I turn between centres so commercial bushes don't work.

I just measure the significant parts of the kit and turn up some bushes to suit.
bushes.jpg

Attachments

• bushes.jpg
    bushes.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 463
I can't remember the last time I brought any bushes for the pens I turn as I use tapered bushes and the turn each end down to the size using callipers touch wood not yet had any bad fitting components to blank.
I put the bushes on the mandrel and use a pen saver this prevents any chance of the mandrel bending and having the blank off centre to the tube

The bushings don't come as sets because most kits have proprietary sizes. If you want sizes for most kits look on the IAP (International Association of Penturners) website in their library. They have extensive charts with tube and bushing sizes as well as a phone app that is easier to use. It is in the process of being updated. If you make your own put the 60º centre cone and turn between centres. The other thing you can do is skip the bushings altogether and turn between the centres using a vernier calliper. A live in the tailstock and dead in the headstock.

Pete

Thanks for all the replies.

I am ordering in some acetal rod and will try making some with that to try out

Inspector":2kmi6r55 said:
The bushings don't come as sets because most kits have proprietary sizes.

Pete

Bushes do come in sets each set is designed for each type of pen, if you buy 10 different pens he likelihood is that you will need 10 sets of different bushes. A one-piece kit will require a set of two bushes as a two-part kit will be a set of three or even 4 bushes. As can be seen in Chas's (CHJ's) post above

But there is no universal set to cover a number of kits

Dalboy Luddite wrote in the first post "...or buy, say a "Set" of bushes that covers most popular kits..." meaning to me a set of universal bushings that would cover most of the kits on the market. That's what I meant by saying they don't come as sets. I know a pen is usually made with a set of 2 to 4 bushings sized for that kit. Manufacturers and sellers maximizing profits. :roll:

Pete

Inspector":13jtuo4i said:
Dalboy Luddite wrote in the first post "...or buy, say a "Set" of bushes that covers most popular kits..." meaning to me a set of universal bushings that would cover most of the kits on the market. That's what I meant by saying they don't come as sets. I know a pen is usually made with a set of 2 to 4 bushings sized for that kit. Manufacturers and sellers maximizing profits. :roll:

Pete

The post I quoted to did not make that clear and could be confusing to a novice that is why a hopefully made that clear to them

Back