PEN kits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-G

Established Member
Reaction score
I've made a few pens in the past but only cheap slim-line items and I've never been totally happy with the results.

I'm now missing a couple of Christmas presents so thinking that maybe using better quality kits might be an answer.

My attempts at searching for what I'm sure are a legion of posts on this subject has been spectacularly unproductive so I'm looking for recommendations .

I know I don't want a 'fountain' pen and suspect that a 'roller ball' will be where I should be. Cost is not 'of the essence' - I do want a quality product. I have plenty of exotic hardwoods to select from and I'm certainly not thinking of resin blanks.

TIA.

I would have a look at the Beaufort inks site.

There are loads of other sellers but I particularly like those. They seem good quality and sensibly priced.

Taylors of mirfield would be my other nomination.

+1 for Taylors,
My wife has just got into making pens and realy likes them. The quality is good and they are very helpful

marcros":1w9qhjyb said:

There are loads of other sellers but I particularly like those. They seem good quality and sensibly priced.

Taylors of mirfield would be my other nomination.

+1 for both of these suppliers. I have used both and very satisfied with both

marcros":1kuetw0n said:
Thanks marcos. I'd made a mental note previously that Beaufort were probably the 'Go_To' company, but having had a 10 day bout of I'll health, I couldn't recall their name.

No matter, 2 Mistral and a Leveche kit ordered (better for delivery costs) so either I make three Christmas Presents or I have spares in case of error :))

Another for an excellent service is THIS supplier I have used Dave on many occasions and if there is a problem a quick phone call normally sorts it out. I say quick as you can end up chatting for ages

ScaredyCat":3avae523 said:
As an aside. Am I the only one who finds 'bullet pens' tacky?
In a word - NO

... but not just 'bullet', any design that references fire-arms.

Lons":ueshzd0y said:
Here's another. Vince has been in business a long time and keeps an excellent selection of kits and materials
https://www2.theturnersworkshop.co.uk/

I don't doubt that Vince is an excellent supplier but my first view of his web-site put me off.

I am looking for 'Rollerball' pens so following the menu for [Pen Kits] the first thing I find is the 'Noble 24kt Gold Plated Rollerball Pen Kit' and was a little surprised to see what I took to be an image of a 'Fountain' pen. Going further - anticipating that that impression would be corrected - I find that the image is the same!

Now I accept that keeping up a web-site can be time consuming and that the image is not necessarily the be-all-and-end-all, that level of detail says to me - "I don't really care that much".

Have a look at CS Crafts, they have a Manger pen kit that is a roller ball. Not able to post a link as I don't have forum permissions to do so.

J-G":14gf98sa said:
I don't doubt that Vince is an excellent supplier but my first view of his web-site put me off.

I am looking for 'Rollerball' pens so following the menu for [Pen Kits] the first thing I find is the 'Noble 24kt Gold Plated Rollerball Pen Kit' and was a little surprised to see what I took to be an image of a 'Fountain' pen. Going further - anticipating that that impression would be corrected - I find that the image is the same!

Now I accept that keeping up a web-site can be time consuming and that the image is not necessarily the be-all-and-end-all, that level of detail says to me - "I don't really care that much".

I've sent you a pm.

Vince is I believe having issues with his website which is being revamped and while I understand that's how you see things your assessment is way off the mark, he very much does care about customers, he has a very wide range of products and a large loyal customer base.
I know that for a fact as he's close enough that I call in person and can see what's in stock and I've bought examples of most of them over several years without issues and that runs into several hundred pens now.

He's one of the most helpful and knowledgeable guys in the business and was from the first time I ever met him though I admit to being biased as he's now a friend.

I will give him your "feedback" when I next see him though I think it may have been more helpful if you had messaged him rather than post negative comments on a public forum.
Anyway, good luck wherever you buy from I hope you find what you're looking for

cheers
Bob

Just a follow up now that I've made three Pens from Beaufort Kits, 2 Mistral and 1 Leveche - all Rollerball.

One is Olive with Titanium Black fittings, second is Zebrano with Ti Gold and the Leveche is Brown Oak with Rose Gold.

Naturally, the first time making anything needs a little 'hand holding' and I must say that the support from Beaufort has been exceptional. Being a pedant and a tool-maker I measured and checked all the components and was a little surprised to find that the tubes were smaller than the recommended drill sizes. Having a concern that they would be 'sloppy' I phoned Beaufort and Phil explained very clearly that when fitting the components the tubes would deform slightly so there should be some clearance to allow for this and in any case there needs to be space for the glue - particularly if using Epoxy.

Again seeking some re-assurance as to my understanding of how the cap thread unit fitted, I called but had to leave a message. I was astounded to get a call back at 7pm when again Phil reassured me on all points.

So impressed that I've now placed another order for Fountain Pen, Roller Ball and Pencil kits which I'm going to make as a set of three.

Attachments

• Mistral RB - Olive - Ti Black - E.png
    Mistral RB - Olive - Ti Black - E.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 274
  • Mistral RB - Zebrano - Ti Gold - A.png
    Mistral RB - Zebrano - Ti Gold - A.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 275
  • Leveche RB - BrOak -Rose Gold - D.png
    Leveche RB - BrOak -Rose Gold - D.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 275
Back