Pen kits and bushes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently bought a Planet mandrel set, turned a few simple pens using the kits that are supplied in the set.
Now im looking to get some more, slightly different designs. Still at a fairly basic level, so not looking at expensive kits for me to ruin just yet!
I am looking at some of the Axminster Sovereign kits
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-so ... rod868712/

Axminster seem pretty good linking the required bushes to the kits, they list a bush kit for them, but I already have the Planet bushes.
To cut a long story short, does anyone know if they are the same size?

I know the A bushes are only £5 a set, but still no reason to buy if I don't need.

Hitch,

Just be aware that some of the Axminster bushes wont fit on the planet mandrel.
Last year I was given an Axminster pen kit by a forum member and then I bought the relevant bushes from Axminster, when they arrived they wouldn't fit on the mandrel and were very kindly drilled out for me by CHJ as I had no way of accurately doing them myself. I have bought several other kits from various sources but only had the problems with the Axminster bushes.

There is a thread on here somewhere that I started when it all happened.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the tip off Steve, seems silly....thought the mandrel rods would all be the same size......
Not the end of the world to drill them out, got access to a little bit of metalworking gear :wink:

Just found the thread.
Not a lot in it is there, size wise.
Has anyone here mentioned it to Axminster?

i will second that about the ax bushes not fitting on the mandrell. i have a rutlands/ dakota? mandrell and yesterday had to drill out some axminster bushes to fit. i have not had issues with bushes in the kits from the turners workshop, fun-e-turnz, timberbits or PSI.
at the risk of stating the obvious, the required size bush for any particular pen kit is determined by the diameter of the components in each kit, and just a fraction out can make a big difference to the finished pen.
recently i took a tip from http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=2170 about measuring the bushes and components before turning and then you know where youre going, leave it oversize/ undersize etc. and not relying on just the bush sizes.
there are a few slightly more expensive kits in the rutlands sale reduced to 3 or 4 quid, and the quality is much better than those normally at that price, but the bushes are a little pricey if youre only going to make one or two.
I use the turners workshop, timberbits, and fun-e-turnz (on ebay) for my pen kits, and all are reasonably priced and great service.

Like Nev, I do not rely on the bush being of a correct size.

I always finish the blank with a vernier gauge measured against the pen mechanism.

I don't like a step at the transition between the nib and the barrel, or the end cap. Your finger must slide across the transition without noticing it.

John. B

I think the differences are down to some mandrels being based on 1/4" (6.24mm) or 6 mm shafts. (Axminster being 6mm perhaps)
In actual fact I think you will find that many of the 1/4" type mandrels are actually something like 0.247" dia. giving a little clearance on a 1/4" bush.

Thanks for the advise chaps, useful tip about checking the bushes against the kits before getting carried away.
I shall check out the kits at the places you mention Nev.

Heres my first two, the straight one was the very first.
The wife likes the one with the bulb, not keen myself, says its more comfortable to hold.
Nothing special, just experimenting with finishes and techniques, not too fussed if I mess one up at this stage.

Attachments

• pens.jpg
    pens.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 2,527
+1 for timberbits on ebay. I find the cigars, sierras, and jnr gents kits really good for price.
The only problem I have had is that the clip end of the sierra can sometimes be a little loose in the tube so i find a little ca sorts that on assembling.
Other than that, they're really good quality, easy to assemble and I've never had any complaints

Quick update on this.....

I ordered some kits and bushes, from Axminster expecting to need drilling out.

Bought 2 sets of bushes, one set fitted the Planet mandrel fine, but one didnt, but was very close, just held in drill chuck and put a mini file through while turning. Barely whisper out of it and it slides on.

Had a look at the above mentioned sites, probably be using some of them in the near future- thanks.

Back