Pen kit advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dye29

Reaction score
Hi all im really enjoying making pens but as in uk gets very expensive please can anyone recomend any good sites from china that are alot cheaper please

I can't recommend any but will issue caution especially if you sell what you make as there are some very poor quality kits around and the last thing you want is to sell faulty pens, it's false economy. If just doing it for fun then try making one off pens using cheap biro parts, it's not difficult with a bit of thought and some research.
Ask the question on Pen Turning Forums as there are a number of members who've bought from China and elsewhere so will be willing to offer advice.

As Lons has said, beware of poor quality kits, the amount of time and effort you put in is the same whatever the kit but if the inards are poor the pen always will be too.
I have had a lot if success with Taylors or Mirfield, particularly their Zeta kit which I think is ver reasonably priced. They also sell the barrels separately which was great when my wife was learning. Products

I think the ‘pros’ find a kit they like (and are confident works), then buy 200 or more at a time for a significant discount.

A retired pro turner I know told me he bought 100/200 at a time from China (he might have meant Taiwan) after buying from a reputable supplier in the this Country and finding a delivery note accidentally left in the packet. I tried to get the address from him but he didn't come back on it.

Dayacom in Taiwan have been supplying businesses for a long time and the quality is very good. They do sell retail but you are looking at MOQ (minimum order quantities) of of at least 30, 50, and up including bushings or extra tubes and that is for each plating type for each kit type. In other words if you want Gold, Chrome and Gunmetal platings you would be buying 50, 50 and 50 for a total of a 150 and the MOQ for the bushing would be another 50. You pay all costs up front and have to deal with brokerage, customs fees and taxes when they arrive which can be months after you pay.
http://www.dayacom.com.tw
Xiamen Rizheng Industry, also known as PenKits Mall, is in China and they make and sell cheaper versions/knock offs of most pen kits. You have to sign up to gain access to buy their pens. I don't know what there MOQs are and you will likely have the same payment, shipping and import conditions as Dayacom.
http://www.penkits.com.cn/index.php/Index/index.html
There are other companies in China but your guess is as good as mine as to quality etc.

I don't know what you do if there are problems, defects or you don't like the products.

I have never had the urge to make vast quantities of pens so I have never bought directly. My comments are gleaned from other pen forums over the years.

Pete

Latest posts

Back