Pen experience

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently got into pens.

I have turned a few wooden ones and have just started with some acrylics. I have a few questions.

When drilling acrylic blanks what's the best way of stopping it from melting and binding to the drill bit? I'm using a pillar drill on its slowest setting and after having the issue once I've been using WD40 to lubricate it but it's messy.

Any advice on a jig for holding the blanks. I made a right angle fence to keep the blank upright but I'm sure there must be better options.

On my second attempt at turning the finished result had some pitting in it, any idea why and what I can do about it?

I've been working through my grits to polish up the finished piece (up to 12,000) and then I've used T Cut, then Polish and then a gloss finish (all car care products) is this sensible or should I use friction polish or something else? Should I use sanding sealer as well?

Also I made a jig for cutting my blanks and that been pretty good, I wonder if other people have done similar and can share their designs?

Sorry lots of questions but if anyone can answer one or more then I'd be grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoStu":1j6bqnwf said:
I've recently got into pens.

I have turned a few wooden ones and have just started with some acrylics. I have a few questions.

When drilling acrylic blanks what's the best way of stopping it from melting and binding to the drill bit? I'm using a pillar drill on its slowest setting and after having the issue once I've been using WD40 to lubricate it but it's messy.

slowly, and withdraw the drill bit regularly to clear the chips. i have put a drop of water on the drill in the past, but don't always. you shouldn't need to do so.

On my second attempt at turning the finished result had some pitting in it, any idea why and what I can do about it?

I have had this too- i think it is probably tool chatter in my case

I've been working through my grits to polish up the finished piece (up to 12,000) and then I've used T Cut, then Polish and then a gloss finish (all car care products) is this sensible or should I use friction polish or something else? Should I use sanding sealer as well?

I do as you do, but haven't used t cut. i stop at micro mesh 12000. master 1 finish before varying it- otherwise you will end up with bits of one method and bits of another. Any problems with the finish of these pens are not down to the actual finishing process, they are down to me!

When drilling you should have it on the slowest speed as you are doing also drill a little and withdraw the bit giving the blank and bit time to cool we are not talking minutes here only a few seconds if the bit comes out of the blank and it looks like it is starting to melt then leave it a bit longer.
I just hold my blanks in a vice for drilling with no problems but I do make sure I set the drilling depth as I do not go all the way through just a fraction over the length of the tube then cut off the last bit this prevents break out.
There is another way of drilling and that is on the lathe using a set of pen blank jaws fitted to the chuck(If you can get them for your chuck)
Pitting when turning can be caused by either trying to remove to much material at once or blunt tools. This can happen more so with Polyester blanks.
I only ever go to 12,000 grit and use burnishing cream to a high gloss the coat the whole pen with microcrystalline wax.
I don't use jigs for cutting my blanks just a saw which I keep for this purpose.

This is one of mine done using all of the things above (This is a polyester blank)
DSCF5274-001_zpsfzkeimps.jpg

DSCF5273-001_zps7wikkfj8.jpg

Hi Discostu

I'd echo what's been advised but why not head over to http://www.penturners.co.uk/ where you'll find your questions already answered and all the help you could ever wish for.

Just be aware that they're all a bunch of hopeless cases ('cept me - oh and maybe Dalboy :-k ).

I don't have a problem drilling acrylics of any type though nowadays always drill on the lathe, I always drill right through just taking extra care over the last few mm and never lubricate the drill, just make sure you use a decent quality and SHARP drill bit. I'd suggest you use a smaller bit at first then the correct size which will help until you gain more experience.

If you're experiencing tool chatter once the blank is round then you're cutting too agressively and maybe your tools aren't sharp enough, some of the acrylics / polyesters are surprisingly abrasive.

Have fun, it's addictive.

Bob

Thanks guys all sounds good and useful.

So I'll just use my pads to go to 12,000 and no polishes etc.

My drill bit is very sharp and breakout hasn't been a problem probably because the base of the jig I made is MDF so having a base should help.

I've got a drill chuck for the lathe but I don't have any jaws for my chuck that would hold a pen blank, however I can see that would sort out centring the blank. Might have to see why jaws I'd need.

I'll play some more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
I use these, http://www.norfolksawservices.co.uk/pro ... wwodbM8FyQ which fit into a lathe chuck (not drill chuck) but prior to this I just used the standard chuck jaws supplied without difficulty, these are just more accurate.
As far as polishing acrylic blanks, there are various products on the market and we all have our favourite method. I micromesh then a quick wipe with chrome polish (brasso works well) and I finish with a light coat of wax to protect against fingerprints. One of the guys on the forum uses toothpaste which is of course a mils abrasive.

Bob

Bit slow on the reply to this one. ...not been on here in a long while.

When finishing my acrylics I use 800 wet and dry.... then the 800 wet and dry with plastic polish (can't remember who makes it)...... then just the plastic polish on a cloth.
Comes out like glass!!!

Re the drilling straight... slowly does It as others have said... and if it's not dead straight. ... as long as you've got enough for the bushings of the selected design..... doesn't matter if it's straight. ... mine hardly ever are... patients is not one of my gifts when drilling! !!

I love acrylic pens.... have done a few wooden but can't master the glass finish on them.

Back