pen dieplay box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonesbones

Established Member
Reaction score
hi Has anybody made a pen display box or similar, got a few ideas but a few more wont do any harm as a friend say two heads are better than one even if they are sheeps heads cheers jonesbones

thanks greg I was thinking more of a display case for about 20 to 30 pens . But I like yours sets the pens of nicely . Thanks jonesbones

HI

I take it you are looking for something similar to THIS rather than the one Blister linked to or THIS one. My advice is that unless you are going to make a very posh case such as the one linked by Blister and my second link dont.

This is just my personal view but also confirmed for me by experience, many years ago when I started selling pens I used one of the leather cases for display purposes but I was never happy with how it looked on the stand and I didnt sell many pens. I then brought a stand like THIS and at the first show I used it sold more pens at that show than I had at all the shows before when using the case for display. I now use two of those stands and a couple of stands like THESE as well as having some of the posher pens in individual presentation boxes on stands.

I have seen a lot of turners displaying pens in the leather type display cases and to me it looks like they have just dumped the case on the stand without any thought to presentation, which is a shame considering the work that goes into making the pens.

I was at a show last year with someone who makes nothing but pens and he made them very well and looking at them I thought I would struggle to sell even one pen during the show. At the end of the first day he had sold 1 pen and I had sold 11, the difference wasn't down to price as he was a pond cheaper than me on most of his but purely presentation. He had laid his stand out quite well different height for the cases, some pens in individual presentation boxes, good lighting etc but he wasn't getting much interest. Talking to him the next morning I suggested he tried a different layout so I lent him a couple of perspex stands I had spare and we spent about an hour re doing his stand taking the pens out of the cases and putting them on the stands and into individual presentation boxes. As the day went on I could see he was getting a lot more interest, he was a bit further down the marquee to me, and it looked like he was selling as well. At the end of the day when we were packing up he brought the stands back to me and said thank you he had had his best day ever at a show selling over 60 pens including 2 at over £150 each, I did manage to sell 3 pens that day myself. I saw him a couple of months later at a show I was visiting and he had completely changed his stall using a variety of stands for the pens instead of the cases and he said the problem now was keeping up his stock as he was selling so many. One set of stands he had made were very good and cheap, he had glues 2 pieces of wood together lengthwise with a paper joint then turned the round and sanded and finished them. Then he separated the 2 halves and cut them to different lengths then drilled holes in the top of them to take the nibs of the pens so they stood upright or leaning slightly backwards, they were very effective and cheap to make.

Sorry about the rant but one thing that does annoy me is to see badly presented stalls at shows as it doesn't do the person any favours or the rest of us.

Back to your original question yes I have made a pen case but I only use it for carrying the pens and showing customers if they are looking for something I don't have on display.
100_1041.jpg

It is made from a small aluminium case the inserts are stiff card covered in self adhesive baize with the elastic straps then tacked through the card.

john

Blister":m7vhhgdp said:
he had had his best day ever at a show selling over 60 pens including 2 at over £150 each

:shock: :shock: Wow did you get commission :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately no, my wife said at the time I should have asked for a % of sales that day, but he did give me a very nice pen as a thank you.

john

thanks blister but for £900 I would want a full sized valnut sideboard to go with it plus a few robert sorby tools thrown in for good measure. Thanks J.P.T I am only selling a few pens by word of mouth mostly; just thought they would look better in a case .I will be 79 next month so its only to cover costs jonesbones

The one Greg referred to in the first reply was made by me, glad you liked it!

I make presentation cases and offer them as an option when selling pens, some people love them and some are happy with the small velvet pouches. If I give a set to a friend or relative they always get a box though, like it or not!

Have you seen the cases on offer at the Turners Workshop? He has quite a variety to choose from.

Back