pen blank drill jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually drill them on the lathe,no probs, just don`t rush it and use a sharp drill.
Frank.

thanks for the advice on drilling pen blanks . got a couple of ideas for a jig to make it easier let you know how I go on thanks jonesbones

I use this in my pillar drill and as long as you start from the center of the blank it doesn't matter too much if it goes slightly off center, unless you are doing a Celtic knot that is..

Penjig3.jpg

This is the jig I made for cutting the blanks, about 1/8" longer than the tubes to allow trimming them

Penjig1.jpg

And this is what I use when I am doing the Celtic knot to cut everything at the angle I want and at the same place :mrgreen:

Penjig2.jpg

All done from scraps and apart from a few screws, cost nowt..

If you aren't familiar with what a Celtic knot looks like here is one in walnut and box. Sorry if I'm teaching egg sucking here

PenFrances.jpg

Jonzjob driling jig looks good. However the hole for the blank need only be drilled, not squared up. The apex's of a right angle triangle fall on a circular path. Using a cicular hole might get rid of any errors bought in when squaring it up.

xy

hi jonzjob No I havent done a celtic cross never heard of it till you shown it . Im a bit new to pen turning more used to rocking chairs tables and stuff but I am certainly going to try a celtic cross . Looked at your photo bucket Impressed jonesbones

The only thing I forgot to put into the cutting of the slots for the Celtic knot is to make sure that the insert wood is the same kerf as your saw blade and also not to cut completely through the blank, but to stop and leave about 1/16" or less so that when you glue it all up with each cut it will bend, with a little persuation, so as to put the insert in but when you clamp it it doesn't move!!

Get my drift?

Gud 'ere init!

Latest posts

Back