Pen and pencil set in Wenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitface

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Been trying out some different pen kits and was looking for a set that included a Fountain Pen, Roller Ball and Pencil and found these at turners retreat.

They are made from Wenge and finished with BLO/CA

A pic of all three:

wengepensetclosed_web.jpg

With the roller ball and fountain open:

wengepensetopen_web.jpg

And in there presentation box:

wengepensetbox_web.jpg

On the Wenge front has anyone else noted small voids in the timber, the first one I turn I though it was tear out but noted on the blank the small voids as well. Is if the blank I picked up or is all Wenge like this. You might be able to see it on the pictures.

Must say the the extra couple of quid I paid for these compared to the last fountain/ roller ball shows. These were easy to put together and the threads for the cap are smooth.

All comments welcome.

Mark.................

Nice work Mark. I love Wenge. When I turned a couple of 16" platters out of it, I found that the only tool that would get a decent finish on it was scrapers. Even then, I had to do a lot of sanding. The voids you are talking about is just tearout. But with Wenge, it kind of breaks out like little spears. At one point I looked down at my left hand and I had about 20 little spears all jammed into the flesh! :shock: Oryxdesign, on the woodworking forum, has got gangrene from this stuff :sick:

Thanks for the comments.

I must admit I do like the pattern you get in wenge it is a nice wood.

In the near future I'll get a blank and turn a bowl or platter out of it.

Well these are winging there way down to Salisbury with a mate whose going to drum up some orders from the officers from his regiment, so fingers crossed.

Mark.......

Back