Pegboard??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shady

Established Member
Reaction score
Been trying to buy some pegboard: seems to be relatively rare - anyone recommend any suppliers?

TIA

No help to you Shady. Noticed even a couple of years ago nobody but nobody stocks it anymore, at least this side of the sea.

Noel

Sorry about that last post - couldn't resist! :oops:

If you just want to use it to make a back board for your bench to hang your tools on, you can do the same thing using 2" square weld mesh. Just hang the mesh on the wall, and then cut through the bottoms of the vertical bits where needed and bend them up to form a hook.

Doesn't look as nice as pegboard mind! :cry:

Yup: I got the AJ Smith one the same way: I just wondered if there was any other source I was missing: I always like to compare a few suppliers' prices before taking the plunge...

Unfortunately, it's actually as a 'breathable base' for a high quality mattress (ex army, ex second row - guess how good my back is....). I may end up having to go down precisely the 'buy some mdf and core holes all over it' route... :roll:

The thing about pegboard is that the holes are equi spaced at a known size.
This makes it useful to use as a drilling jig using a hinge drill.
Also when making drilling jigs for equi spaced holes for shelf supports.

Shady":1njrxizs said:
Unfortunately, it's actually as a 'breathable base' for a high quality mattress (ex army, ex second row - guess how good my back is....). I may end up having to go down precisely the 'buy some mdf and core holes all over it' route... :roll:

Pegboard is pretty thin, 1/4" or 6mm ish, so it's not great as a load bearing sheet. Any reason not to use solid wood slats? More expensive, but much better for bearing the load of a mattress with an ex army type on.

Martyn

Yup, you're right Rattie: the base is actually slats already, but this mattress needs a little more support at 'closer centres', and the easiest way of achieving that (if I could buy the wretched stuff easily....) is to lay the board on top of the in-place slats.

Otherwise the internal gubbins will apparently risk differentially 'sinking', so that I end up with an expensive set of hollows and rounds running across its upper surface, reflecting the slats' positioning under the mattress.

I have made 3 beds for my kids plus a childs cot.
The cot had slats with hardboard on top for the mattress and the full sized single beds had 3/4" chipboard set in a rebate for the base with a great number of 1/2" holes drilled for airflow.
The chipboard took all the jumping the kids could throw at it and are still sound 20 years later.

Latest posts

Back