Pedestal bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
I have never tried one of these before, but the log was pretty deep and gave me sufficient wood to create the shape.
Wall thickness is about 1/8th. The wood is Spalted Sycamore, different log to the last one though, this has been outside for about a year and the wood was a lot punkier which made finishing a bit more challenging.
The finish is acrylic lacquer 3 coats then buffed with the 3 chestnut system wheels.

Any comments welcome, thanks for looking! :)

il_570xN.370864467_k501.jpg

il_570xN.370854358_b60o.jpg

il_570xN.370864529_76zx.jpg

il_570xN.370864511_davs.jpg

Surprised you got enough depth to do that in one piece.
Would not have liked to tackle that myself with the limited rigidity of the stem, full marks for accomplishing it and having the nerve in the first place.

Personally would prefer to see a much slimmer stem on such a piece but that would not be practical as a one piece item.

On the spalted wood front I've started to be more ruthless in what I turn, having in the past spent some considerable time and money in sealers and adhesives in rescuing soft pieces I'm afraid the firewood bin gets used a little more often these days.

It was less a case of nerve and more of ignorance I think Chas, plus although the wood was softish, it did have plenty of sound wood to cope with the stress. I agree about the thickness of the stem, but at the time (while it was still mounted) it looked about right, it wasn't until after I had parted it off I though maybe I could have gone down a little more, but overall I don't think it's too badly out of balance, the foot carries is reasonably well (in a design sense that is). All a learning curve! :)

Pedants of the world unite.

Nice bowl but check the spelling :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I agree with Chas that the er..... pedestal is a little heavy. Overall nice shape and well finished though. Good looking wood too.

I like it and find it very pleasing to the eye a very nice bit of turning and a good finish well don Kim what are the dimensions

Yup! I like it. I don't think I'd have the nerve to take the pedestal any thinner. I dried some oak last year from a tree felled at work. When I started turning it, the inside was mostly dust held together with smaller bits of sound wood. No fun to turn at all.

Thanks Woody, it's 4.5 inches high and 5.5 wide.

Thanks Taz!

I like it. If one wanted to be severely picky then I might agree the base is to wide, or perhaps perhaps to tall, but it is still a beautiful bowl.

I think that's absolutely beautiful! I love the finish, looks like aged marble, and the shape is great, nice smooth and rounded curves, I think a much thinner stem can start to look like an excersise, but then I am a fan of the wider bottom :oops:

Latest posts

Back