PC USB connections

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hope somebody out there can help. Our laptop has stopped recognising the connection of a USB device (MP3 player, phone, camera etc). Any ideas on how to resolve it? I've tried turning off/on to no avail.

When plugged in to the usb, the device will enter charging mode, but nothing more. Normally it just opens a window to explore the files etc.

Windows 7.

Cheers

Karl

Unplug all your USB things and try inseting phone or something. It could be a conflict somewhere. If that doesn't work go into device manager and find the USB section and see if there any errors showing for the devices. Don't fiddle with your BIOS though.

Have you got the right cable? I had this problem and discovered that some identical usb cables are charge only and some are charge + data. I had picked a cheap one off a charger instead of the one that came with my phone.

Hi Karl

It's more likely to be a software driver problem that a hardware fault.

I assume your laptop has more than 1 USB port. If only 1 has stopped working then it's a fault with that socket. If none are then it's most likely just the drivers for the USB controller. (easiest way to check the ports is with a memery stick / flash drive if you have one as they don't need a cable ad have no charge facility).

If all ports dead then go to device manager in control panel and check the hardware. See if any have an :!: mark if so then use the option to look for drivers. If not then look for the menu with search for hardware. You can uninstall the USB controller, swith off and restart your machine and it should reinstall.
The drivers are within your windows operating system.

Another option if you know when they stopped working is to go to system restore and restore your system to a point just previous to that.

Chems is right BTW - don't fiddle with the bios unless you know exactly what you're doing as you can really b*** up your machine :roll:
Bob

There is a somewhat simpler answer to the problem -

003-13.jpg

The little sod (cat, not daughter :lol: ) had chewed the USB cable - but clearly not all the way through as both devices were charging, just not transferring data. Thankfully i've got a spare cable - switching it over reveals fully working devices! Should really have thought of that last night.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Cheers

Karl

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm surprised the cat went for the cable instead of the "mouse"

Latest posts

Back