PC network problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a network storage server. Not used it for some time. Used to connect fine from my PC. Router was in the 192.168.1.x range. Router then died and replaced with another. This time it's in the 192.168.0.x range and can't be altered.

Reconfigured the network storage server to be 192.168.0.3. My PC is 0.2. I can ping the storage server. I can access it from a browser BUT I can't connect to it from the PC as a networked drive. It's been so long since I messed around with PCs that I can't for the life of me remember what I need to do. Any help very welcome.

If you have a fire wall you have to set it up to allow the traffic . In zone alarm its the trusted zone. This is a guess on my part as i had to do this for two computers on my home network.
Disableing the fire wall could be a good place to start.

What security methods are you using? For instance, do you have MAC addressing enabled? If you do then the MAC ID of the unit needs to be entered on to the router.

And If you have WEP enabled that would cause a problem too, if the unit is not passing the network password.

It's probably a good idea to disable all security to start with and then try to connect. If it connects then reenable security features one-by-one and test it as each stage until you identify the item thta's causing the problem.

If that does not work and you need more help, sign up to the forum at www.computerbuyer.co.uk There are more computer geeks there than you can shake a stick at, including moi.

OLD":20y5c5nn said:
If you have a fire wall you have to set it up to allow the traffic . In zone alarm its the trusted zone. This is a guess on my part as i had to do this for two computers on my home network.
Disableing the fire wall could be a good place to start.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that and disabled ZA and windows firewall.

Paul Barrett":bu42v5if said:
What security methods are you using? For instance, do you have MAC addressing enabled? If you do then the MAC ID of the unit needs to be entered on to the router.

And If you have WEP enabled that would cause a problem too, if the unit is not passing the network password.

It's probably a good idea to disable all security to start with and then try to connect. If it connects then reenable security features one-by-one and test it as each stage until you identify the item thta's causing the problem.

If that does not work and you need more help, sign up to the forum at www.computerbuyer.co.uk There are more computer geeks there than you can shake a stick at, including moi.

No security such as Mac addresses or WEP. Plain old vanilla router. Any other security to disable?

Roger have you asked windows to search for it from network neighborhood or network places? try its Name or its Address

Hi Roger

Have you tried placing them both in the same domain or workgroup? I am guessing probably yes as it worked before but this has caught me out before. If they are in the same workgroup and you can't browse to it, try using search from explorer and search for computers using the network name of the Storage Server.

As Ray says - when changes are made, assuming nothing else dramatic has been altered, the problems almost always boil down to the Firewall settings and Printer and File Sharing.

chiba":2d7ga3ai said:
Did you change the subnet mask?

Thats a good point, my old router used 255.255.0.0 and my new one uses 255.255.255.0, easy to miss.

Argee":26fauw79 said:
File sharing?

Ray.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Many thanks, guys, for all the excellent suggestions.

The next problemette is that it looks as if I need to backup the backup (ie the network file server) if I want to upgrade it to support the new Intel Macs as well as the old Macs and PCs. Now where's that 176Gb floppy gone to :cry:

DLT's probably your only option for true backup, and they're hideously expensive. Mirror/Ghost it and hope for the best?

I gave up with backups at home and got RAID 5. For home use even Blu-ray and HD DVD max out at 50GB and 30GB respectively, and by the time the drives are affordable we'll be on terabyte disks.

chiba":3kn6a3s4 said:
DLT's probably your only option for true backup, and they're hideously expensive. Mirror/Ghost it and hope for the best?

I gave up with backups at home and got RAID 5. For home use even Blu-ray and HD DVD max out at 50GB and 30GB respectively, and by the time the drives are affordable we'll be on terabyte disks.

Mmmm..are RAID 5 arrays in Japan cheaper than elsewhere, do you know? We're going to Japan in March (Tokyo/Kyoto) and if I have any room left after buying saws, chisels an marking knives.....
:wink:

Try and external drive such as this one is only £90 and will store 300Gb. Just set it up as a mirror using Backup Magic or similar software to select specific folders or files. I have a Raid 1 disk mirror on my C drive at home and an external drive picking off My Docs and selected folders for additional security and backup. I then Archive stuff off onto DVD such as music, photo's, video's and letters etc once a year to free up space.

HTH

Roger Sinden":1xrwsnjs said:
Mmmm..are RAID 5 arrays in Japan cheaper than elsewhere, do you know? We're going to Japan in March (Tokyo/Kyoto) and if I have any room left after buying saws, chisels an marking knives.....
:wink:

The Buffalo 1TB box I have is about 400 quid new (I bought mine second hand off a friend). It has four disks, so in RAID 5 mode I get 750GB. The web based admin interface can be switched to English, which is worth looking out for if you do decide to buy anything electronic on your trip. It is, however, bl--dy heavy.

Coincidence though. We're going to England in March! If I have any room left after hauling all the junk needed to maintain two toddlers, I'll be buying Bisto. And custard powder too maybe.

Are you trying for the cherry blossom?

cutting42":1iybeics said:
Try and external drive such as this one is only £90 and will store 300Gb. Just set it up as a mirror using Backup Magic or similar software to select specific folders or files. I have a Raid 1 disk mirror on my C drive at home and an external drive picking off My Docs and selected folders for additional security and backup. I then Archive stuff off onto DVD such as music, photo's, video's and letters etc once a year to free up space.

HTH

Interesting idea although the more I look into the whole topic of Raid the more confused I get/read different 'pearls of wisdom'! Some advocate it highly, some (for home users) say the opposite. I know I rattled on about Raid 5but that was only because my 'techie' in the last job raved over it...but then that might have been due to the hot-swappable drives :wink:

Roger Sinden":1758oxgq said:
the more I look into the whole topic of Raid the more confused I get/read different 'pearls of wisdom'!

Hi Roger

Your simple guide to RAID:(greatly simplified)

Two basic types:
RAID 0, Performance based
RAID 1, Security based

Performance based is called striping and splits data writes to two hard discs. Great for speed but terrible for security, not what you need.

Security based is called mirroring and writes EVERY piece of data to two discs. You have a small performance hit but security is great as if one disc fails, you have a complete copy of your main operating system and data on the second disc. The other downside is that for every 1Gb you need you have to buy 2Gb, if you currently have a 300Gb hard disc, you need to buy a second one to mirror it.

RAID 5 is a striping technique with distributed parity checks. This can offer a degree of data security with enhanced performance. RAID 5 is also a bit like saying "Plane" as a tool description - it describes an overall functionality but does not specify whether it is a 4, 5, 4.5 rebater, block, BU or router!!! RAID 5 is highly configurable and very nice indeed but not really a home solution unless you really want to get into the nuts and bolts of RAID IMO.

There are many other variants of RAID as well - 0+1, 4 and a whole raft of nested RAID's.

Latest posts

Back