PC and monitor plug question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been out of my ws because I have had to remodel my playroom, (got a new carpet).

I purchased a secondhand PC computer the other day and got an old monitor down from the loft which I have mounted on a wall with a tilt and turn bracket, mainly for my music interests and to run some old games which do not work with Windows 7.

Searching for a lead to use from PC to monitor I am using a lead with a small plug either end and it has blue coloured connector pins. The monitor & pc have two types of sockets, longer and shorter (the blue one is shorter) anyway I connected up using the shorter version lead and it appears to work perfectly.

Why do computers have the option of long or short plug connections?

a portion of my new playroom.

2012_0704newscreen0002web.jpg

Attachments

• 2012_0704newscreen0002web.jpg
    2012_0704newscreen0002web.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 676
Hi,

Is the longer one white? if it is, its a DVI socket and will give a better picture.
Using the blue one your signal is converted to from digital to analouge sent down the cable and converted back to digital, unless its a CRT.
The white one isn't converted at all so looks better, if you have the right cable try it out.

Pete

There are different connections that can be used for connecting PC to monitor. Often these are blue to colour code the fact that they are video. This shows the usual array that may be available on the computer and monitor
Change%20the%20default%20program%20Windows%20XP%20uses%20to%20open%20a%20specific%20type%20of%20file_clip_image003.jpg

Also you may also have HDMI available.

My PC has all three sockets but my monitor only has VGA and DVI. You can also get various adaptors. You need to see what you have available and then get/find a suitable cable. Older monitors and PCs only tended to have the VGA connectors.

If you post pictures of the sockets on your equipment I'm sure we can point you in the right directionto get it all working.

Misterfish

Thanks all, yes they are white or and blue.

I do not have a spare white one at the moment (longer) but your advice that it gives a better picture means I shall have to get another cable.

the blue picture is adequate but I always like the best.

DW, I don't think its worth the money for the extra cable. I can't tell the difference between a DVI and a VGA connection.

Chems":2hqjjefd said:
I can't tell the difference between a DVI and a VGA connection.

One big difference between a DVI and a VGA connection, in my experience, is that DVI (being a digital signal) doesn't pick up interference from speakers, mobile phones, power cables, microwave ovens or any other source of random EM radiation... while VGA cables these days are generally cheap and completely unshielded and the picture wavers, flickers and so on all the time. The VGA monitor I use at work bothers me all the time just from the interference I get from the monitor's own power cable!

Back