Paypal payments can a buyer cancel without notice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have used Paypal for a long while, mostly buying and selling on ebay

But I have an item for sale on Gumtree on this occasion, its a £100 item so not a trivial amount

The buyer has said they will arrange a courier and pay by paypal

I wanted to know if they could cancel or reverse the payment once the courier had collected it

The Paypal notes on this are ambiguous so just wanted to know if anyone knew the answer

I think so long as its a Paypal GIFT they can't reclaim the money, if they pay you as a business transaction they can reclaim it and also you have to pay fees for the transaction.

The usual issue is that they can claim non delivery/collection and then claim the money back, so make sure you get a signature from the courier. I say "usual", but I doubt that it is commonplace and I am sure that most buyers are genuine and honest people. it is a known scam method though.

Thanks for yours

Oddly I always thought the gift method was the one that could be reversed but I may well be wrong

The normal payment way would incur fees I know, paypals own notes on it are ambiguous, one seems to say they cannot reverse the payment, yet another seems to say they can

Trevanion":pv5hma01 said:
I think so long as its a Paypal GIFT they can't reclaim the money, if they pay you as a business transaction they can reclaim it and also you have to pay fees for the transaction.

This was my worry

They say they will arrange a courier once payment is received at my end, and the courier will pack the item (a childs car seat) which I hadn't heard of but my daughter says is normal practice for some

If I accept this sale, I would ask for a receipt of collection, and take a photo of the courier and van with reg

Perhaps I am over worrying on this occasion, it seems a lot of hard work on the buyers part to exact a scam

marcros":2wq6gaw2 said:
The usual issue is that they can claim non delivery/collection and then claim the money back, so make sure you get a signature from the courier. I say "usual", but I doubt that it is commonplace and I am sure that most buyers are genuine and honest people. it is a known scam method though.

a scammer works on turnover. the more small cams he can get away with, the less likely to loser is to call the police.

Take precautions, they cost you nothing.

Thank you

As it happens I have two people interested, I am hoping one is local as most are who use Gumtree, in which case cash on collection would resolve my problem

I have a lot of experience of selling via the internet and my advice to you would be is that any item you are selling that is collection only needs to be collected and paid for in cash by the buyer.
If you do it any other way they can say they didnt receive it or could look at it and say it was not as you described it and paypal will always find in their favor.

The item wasn't described as collection only, I didn't enter that in the advert, not thinking that anyone would want to buy from afar, its not an unusual item and big and fairly heavy

Gumtree is somewhere to list list items for sale localy and you would expect the buyer to turn up and pay for it and take it away.
You need to ask yourself if your item is not unique or for sale at a very low price why would they want to arrange and pay for it to be collected and delivered to them?
In my experience most people are honest but those who are not prey on thoes who are.

Quite so, I have used Gumtree for a few years, bought and sold without a problem, I even bought a car on Gumtree, that was a bit further though about 150 miles away but otherwise its all local

So far I don't even know where the potential buyer is

There are a few of them up and down the country, some more expensive, some cheaper, but this is hardly used

I shall just have to wait to out then get back to them

That is a whole new can of worms

I recently went through this for someone who wanted to pay that way, three banks advised not doing it

Curious given the same bank account and sort code is on every cheque and its used by many businesses, I have used this method both to pay and be paid in the past, but when they advise against it you kind of have to listen to be covered

MrTeroo":26ld9k2h said:
Ask them to pay by bank transfer

PayPal require you to SEND the item "signed for" and you to enter the carrier receipt number in the appropriate box. No other method of delivery will be accepted. The only exception is "Cash on Collection" items.

Take my advice only sell it to someone who rocks up and pays in cash. If it dosent sell this week relist it next week and try again but make it clear that they collect and pay in cash that costs you nothing.

Well I am done with this now. I think you need to wise up you have someone who you have no idea who they are who wants to buy your item and have it collected by someone else you have no idea about without you having to pack it or address it does that not seem strange to you?

Back