Paul Sellers - Trademark?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyT":3eqhr7tt said:
Custard, I do agree about his blog. On the whole, Sellers' spoken explations are quite clear, as you would expect from someone used to talking to students. But the blog so often dips into incoherent, unedited rambling. Maybe someone else writes it for him?

I hadn't consciously noted the contrast between the spoken and the written - but you're quite right, it's very surprising.

And some of the stuff he writes is either barking, incomprehensible, or both.

BugBear

bugbear":3mxorm41 said:
D_W":3mxorm41 said:
lurker":3mxorm41 said:
I am only vaguely aware of the bloke from references on this forum. Is he American?

Texan. It's sort of like American, but not quite.

You think he's Texan - with that accent ?!?!?

BugBear

Maybe he's from London, TX.

lurker":3r4car5i said:
D_W":3r4car5i said:
I think you guys are expecting a lot if you're hoping that the instructors who rely mostly on beginners will not try to do a little bit of huckstering. It's part of the equation - the apprentice isn't bound to the shop, so some marketing is in order.

I think you have it. These days it's never about the product but the hype.

I do like the smile he gives to the camera at the end of every video. He's hardly a harmful guy, I just wish he'd show stuff that's a little more advanced, but then again, if I were him - I probably wouldn't want to give that away for free, either.

It's pretty hard to have that sort of calm norm abrahms presence on camera and not do anything that doesn't irritate someone. It's hard enough even to just be concise while delivering more than just summary level material.

lurker":1hs3s0wj said:
I tried to watch a couple of his things on u tube but got bored.
If you compare him to some other youtube woodworkers (mainly American) they definitely go quicker and with more energy about things. His content is good though if you can stick with it.

Maybe he's from London, TX.

I think he is from Tx... or at least that is where he should best be located.

He sometimes has interesting stuff.... but his communication skills (moaning?) are a PITA... or as one would say in Irl... a PITH.

The 'knifewall' reminds me of the Charlesworth ruler 'trick'. With due respects to David, I first saw this 'trick' while watching a carpenter during my youth (a few years ago).

-gerard-

I did note the idea that he thought he was responsible for making planes more expensive. Rather than a bunch of rich hipsters just driving up the prices for something that happens to be in vogue right now. They probably just want them as decorations for their re-purposed workbenches that they use as writing desks or something instead...

A highly experienced turner of past retirement age told us a while ago that he'd seen a great idea - grinding your scrapers upside down. He seemed most surprised when I said I was taught that 50 years ago at school. I very much doubt there's much new.

phil.p":1m8evico said:
A highly experienced turner of past retirement age told us a while ago that he'd seen a great idea - grinding your scrapers upside down. He seemed most surprised when I said I was taught that 50 years ago at school. I very much doubt there's much new.
I would say that we might invent new tools but without them the previous generations likely invented every 'trick' there is! All people do now is rediscover them and then package them nicely in a YouTube video

D_W":2g2yl6ss said:
lurker":2g2yl6ss said:
I am only vaguely aware of the bloke from references on this forum. Is he American?

With the greatest of respect, Americans are not known for their accent identification skill.

During a trip to the US my broad SW Scotland accent was confued as that of an Austrailan. Without a hint of sarcasm I informed the chap I was from Scotland - Gee!, what state is that in? He wasn't being sarcastic either. Knda worrying really :D

David

Accent recognition is strange. A Maori friend of my b.i.l. couldn't believe it had taken eleven years of living in NZ before he could tell a Kiwi from an Australian without fail - but he could hear no difference in accent between me and said b.i.l. mine is Cornish and his is broad Plymouth.

phil.p":2ti3albn said:
Accent recognition is strange. A Maori friend of my b.i.l. couldn't believe it had taken eleven years of living in NZ before he could tell a Kiwi from an Australian without fail - but he could hear no difference in accent between me and said b.i.l. mine is Cornish and his is broad Plymouth.

Many Americans can't tell the difference between Australian, South African and English!!

BugBear

bugbear":h448jeyw said:
I hadn't consciously noted the contrast between the spoken and the written - but you're quite right, it's very surprising.
And some of the stuff he writes is either barking, incomprehensible, or both.

I'm pretty sure there is more than one person behind the Paul Sellers school and publishing.
Not that I've read or listen much to Paul Sellers (It is this, I helped Noah with the arch attitude
wich keeps me from doing.) Nor could I hear or read the differnce between London and Stockholm accent.)

Cheers
Pedder

Members who are ridiculing Paul Sellers must know something I don't know. I don't read his blogs but subscribe to his Masterclass series and find his attitude fine, his skill level and ability to communicate extremely good. What is there to dislike with that.

John

Bluekingfisher":3s1ac6wf said:
D_W":3s1ac6wf said:
lurker":3s1ac6wf said:

With the greatest of respect, Americans are not known for their accent identification skill.

During a trip to the US my broad SW Scotland accent was confued as that of an Austrailan. Without a hint of sarcasm I informed the chap I was from Scotland - Gee!, what state is that in? He wasn't being sarcastic either. Knda worrying really :D

David

You're right. We can identify accents from the United States, but not too much else as far as English goes (as in, I'd have no clue what part of England someone was from just listening to their accent - unless they're scottish).

John15":2dggmthk said:
Members who are ridiculing Paul Sellers must know something I don't know. I don't read his blogs but subscribe to his Masterclass series and find his attitude fine, his skill level and ability to communicate extremely good. What is there to dislike with that.

John

His skill level isn't as good a others in some areas.
For example spoon carving .

Ben Orford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW2DN46lrqk

Paul Sellers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjK2yKZEPZQ

Paul Sellers rubs me up the wrong way for some reason, I prefer Roy Underhill

http://video.pbs.org/program/woodwrights-shop/

Pete

Err, Yes, Well. I'm not really into spoon making so how he makes his spoons doesn't bother me very much.

John

Racers":i3ci8r66 said:
His skill level isn't as good a others in some areas.
For example spoon carving .
Paul Sellers rubs me up the wrong way for some reason, I prefer Roy Underhill

Personality preferences aside, Paul Sellers is vastly better at actually demonstrating and communicating what he's doing to someone who doesn't already know and understand it. Roy Underhill may be more entertaining to watch but in the few videos of his I've watched he tends to gloss over some things too quickly; I enjoyed them, but would have found them far harder to replicate myself.

Teachers are rarely the very most highly skilled people in their field of expertise - it's their ability to communicate that's of prime importance and Paul Sellers' calm and measured approach which only skips the completely duplicated operations is first class.

Clearly if you are already skilled in woodwork you're going to find someone who doesn't gloss over the basics tedious, but then those videos probably aren't for you.

D_W":2dvr147g said:
You're right. We can identify accents from the United States, but not too much else as far as English goes (as in, I'd have no clue what part of England someone was from just listening to their accent - unless they're scottish).

Their not from England if their Scottish :lol: We're all from Britain :)

Back