Paul Sellers chairside table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guineafowl21

Established Member
Reaction score
Finished this little table from Paul’s book. It was a refreshing change to follow plans, rather than make it up as I go along. The legs start off straight, and are given inside curves and chamfers to appear bent outwards. The whole table seems to ‘stand’ nicely.

05CE32FA-19CD-494A-B9DD-5F17B7840A4A.jpeg

It was made from an old beech tree that had forked, one side overhanging a stream and nearly splitting away. Planked up as usual with the chainsaw mill and dried to 14% under cover for 9 months.

Attachments

• 05CE32FA-19CD-494A-B9DD-5F17B7840A4A.jpeg
    05CE32FA-19CD-494A-B9DD-5F17B7840A4A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 789
Top attached by traditional turnbuttons:
image.jpg

Detail of the leg shaping:
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    835.2 KB · Views: 774
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    925.1 KB · Views: 786
Droogs":19kxgg1b said:
lovely, well done. all by hand tools?
Apron arches and leg shaping by hand tools, yes. Planer, thicknesser and table saw to get the rough lumber into shape: I’m not a total nutcase!

nice, I made this a while back but never bothered with the shaped legs like you have done, it looks really good, nice curves.

Thanks. I think the leg template in the book, as described, is the wrong size. I spent a couple of frustrating hours trying to work out what was going on. Do you have your book handy? I’d be interested to hear if anyone else had the same problem.

Leg dimensions were 24” by 1 5/8”, but the template is given as 23 1/8” by 1 3/4”. It just doesn’t fit, and I assumed I was making the mistake somewhere. I’ve emailed Paul Sellers (actually one of his minions) about it.

guineafowl21":27hiwv4v said:
Thanks. I think the leg template in the book, as described, is the wrong size. I spent a couple of frustrating hours trying to work out what was going on. Do you have your book handy? I’d be interested to hear if anyone else had the same problem.

Leg dimensions were 24” by 1 5/8”, but the template is given as 23 1/8” by 1 3/4”. It just doesn’t fit, and I assumed I was making the mistake somewhere. I’ve emailed Paul Sellers (actually one of his minions) about it.

on page 320 'pattern page' of the book, it says the leg template is 50% of actual size, so you enlarge it by 200% then make patters from that, I didn't actually use any of the templates to be honest, maybe the print is the wrong size? it says in the book the legs should start off as 1 5/8" x 1 5/8" x 24" you are correct about the template size not being the same it does clearly say 1 3/4" x 23 1/8" on the shaping the legs part, definitely worth contacting him about it.

I haven’t got the kit to enlarge photocopies, so I relied on the description. I got a brief reply from the website saying the table height is 24”, so the legs are 23 1/8” plus 7/8” for the top, but the plans say otherwise. There is clearly a mistake here, but no acknowledgement yet.

I’m not putting the book down at all, in fact it’s very good. But I couldn’t find any info on the internet about the template, so at least it’s here.

I ended up making a template that fitted the leg, ie 24” by 1 5/8”, and then following the shaping instructions, and it worked perfectly.

guineafowl21":1tn4jmh1 said:
I haven’t got the kit to enlarge photocopies, so I relied on the description. I got a brief reply from the website saying the table height is 24”, so the legs are 23 1/8” plus 7/8” for the top, but the plans say otherwise. There is clearly a mistake here, but no acknowledgement yet.

I’m not putting the book down at all, in fact it’s very good. But I couldn’t find any info on the internet about the template, so at least it’s here.

I ended up making a template that fitted the leg, ie 24” by 1 5/8”, and then following the shaping instructions, and it worked perfectly.

excellent, good to know because I was thinking of making one with this curved shape at some point, the book is really good though over-all, I did every project in it including the workbench, it was the closest thing I'll ever get to being an apprentice.

BigMonka":2lpg140n said:
Which book is this from please? That’s a really lovely design table and nicely made!
Paul Sellers, Working Wood 1&2.

Everyone seems to like the compound curved legs. It’s meant to ‘float’ above the floor, and it really seems to.

It was finished with button shellac, but perhaps it should have been darker. Maybe garnet for the next one.

Another one, this time with larch legs and beech aprons and top. (One of those ‘ooh I like that. Can you make me one?)

Finished with garnet shellac, but looks a bit piney. I was hoping the beech would darken a bit more. Perhaps a lighter shellac and stained furniture wax would be better.

B8A9F46F-CF5A-4CBD-9D59-4F544899D630.jpeg

Attachments

• B8A9F46F-CF5A-4CBD-9D59-4F544899D630.jpeg
    B8A9F46F-CF5A-4CBD-9D59-4F544899D630.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 412
Back