Paul Sellars recommending a bull nose plane...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkshire Sam

Established Member
Reaction score
The latest offering from Paul is about bull nose planes. After watching it ( as usual from Paul, quite interesting) my first thought was that bull nose planes are going to rocket on ebay shortly....
pity I don't have one to sell!

wouldn't surprise me if vintage ones get very expensive, I'm after a vintage bullnose plane and also rebate no78 plane which are still cheap for some reason, best to get one soon I think, get em whilst they're cheap.

Sorry, not paying £12 to see the video, I presume it will find its waay onto youtube eventually.

Would be interested to know how he uses it though. The only use I have found for mine is to tidy up after the 78. I had had it for over 30 years before I found even that use for the thing!

Don't have to pay £12 to view it ... there is a free option available where some of the one off videos can be viewed. You only pay for the 'series' videos

I have a couple of bull nose planes sharpened and ready to go, l haven't used them in years, love to know what he uses them for, but I find him intensely annoying so I won't be watching the video.

Pete

Racers":4388aws7 said:
I have a couple of bull nose planes sharpened and ready to go, l haven't used them in years, love to know what he uses them for, but I find him intensely annoying so I won't be watching the video.

Pete

Your loss :(

Did you really need to post your comment here?

Racers":3eoveyew said:
... but I find him intensely annoying so I won't be watching the video.

Pete
Same here. The only videos I watch are the Peter Sellers variety; much more entertaining :lol: - Rob

I've watched a few of his videos but his style doesn't work for me - he makes every point carefully and repeats it several times, whilst I'd rather be told and shown just once and then rewind if I want to see something again. Others will find him very helpful and that he suits their watching preferences.

Back to the topic, I haven't yet found a use for my bull-nose plane - everything it might do for me, I find easier and quicker with a chisel.

I'd be interested to know what people do find them useful for.

profchris":2uh47tny said:
I'd be interested to know what people do find them useful for.
I've got the very small Clifton one with the wedge and I do use it sometimes but it's only very occasionally; for me it's a tool with very limited uses - Rob

Yorkshire Sam":2h8z9b3q said:
Don't have to pay £12 to view it ... there is a free option available where some of the one off videos can be viewed. You only pay for the 'series' videos

Can't see how - it says you can view it with a free account, but if you then click to sign up it promptly asks you for a £12 subscription.

ZippityNZ":1r56f59k said:
Racers":1r56f59k said:

Pete

Your loss :(

Did you really need to post your comment here?
I think I made a valid point about not finding a use for one, sorry about not liking Paul sellers but that's just my opinion.

Pete

I'm in the middle of an ongoing (longterm) process of making one and from a casting and even I can't justify it. It's mad.

A bullnose plane is handy for cutting stop chamfers. You make the stop cuts first, with a chisel. Then plane across at 45° to the length, slewing the plane round until it's inline with the work, plane along towards the other end, slew round again to meet the other stop cut.

If there is no stop at the opposite end, an ordinary rebate or shoulder plane will do. If there is another end (on something like an Oxford frame for example) you need a bullnose plane.*

*Or just a chisel. But bullnose planes are so cute! :D

Mcdemon":li07mped said:
Do you have a link please Sam?

There is no need to sign up to the subscription series.

https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/vi ... edout=true

I like his comment in the description “Bullnose planes are an added luxury until you really need one”.

FWIW I have a Rider 311 which I like. It’s a shoulder plane - useful for tenons (and shoulders) but also a bullnose and even a chisel plane. I like the additional support of the front section, knowing that this can be removed and the extra weight/width. The blade needs to sit outside of the side.

Paul uses a hammer to knock it side-to-side, but I put the plane on a playing card (as a spacer) before setting it up. Paul Sellers gets “bad press” for often repeating himself but he has saved me serious $$$ when he reminds us that there is more than one way to “do stuff”. The search for videos on his website can be restricted to the free ones so no need to be reminded/harassed into spending $$$.

I take the front off my Record shoulder plane , fit the small metal block and hey presto a bull nose. I think it's usable without the block for really close in work. The only limitation is it's only a 5/8" wide blade. It's still more precise than an errant chisel though!

I suppose you don't want a chamfer plane either, until you need one. But at the moment I use a wide chisel bevel down, or a spokeshave.

John (hammer)

Back