Pattress board ideal thickness?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Cheetham

Established Member
Reaction score
Im wanting to put pattress boards in between the stud partitions on the top half of my workshop build before I board the walls. Im doing all of it at the top so I know I can hang and put stuff where I want in the future as not 100% on layout yet. Also just so I dont solely have to rely on the studs.

Im boarding the walls with 11mm OSB and the framing is 2x4 at 400 centres.

Im seeing alot of offcuts on fb marketplace for 9mm osb or plywood. Would this be sufficiant thickness for a pattress board or should I go thicker say 11 or 18 even.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :) (y)

You'll be nailing or screwing the osb up so will be able to see where the studs are in the future. 400mm spacing is close enough that they'll be ok for whatever layout you choose. If you decide the effort is worth it I use 18 mm ply between studs where radiators will go.

I decided not to bother with patresses for workshop wall storage
Instead im going to throw a sheet or two of ply on the wall, fixed to the studs. Then i can put french clear system on the ply. If I want to convert to office or gym later I can do so by just removing the ply as underneath is painted plaster.
I've seen people use 12mm OSB for patresses but no idea if they have problems with them later down the line. Ply sounds better to me as prices are not a lot different from OSB at moment anyway

Martin

I found, and thought I'd saved, a picture of a shop with OSB trunking. It was basically a softwood, rounded over frame with inlaid osb. The sockets were simply fitted into cut-outs, screwed into then osb. It looked really neat.

You'll be nailing or screwing the osb up so will be able to see where the studs are in the future. 400mm spacing is close enough that they'll be ok for whatever layout you choose. If you decide the effort is worth it I use 18 mm ply between studs where radiators will go.
Yes I was thinking using ply as I had heard its a greater pull out strength. I have a few offcuts of 22mm chipboard flooring I was going to chuck in just to use up. Is the pull out strength any good on that or should I not use them.

I found alot of 9mm ply offcut boards on fb marketplace. If I was do buy some of these and double layer these boards to make 18mm would that work or do they need to be one whole board. If yes would I be good to just fix them at the edges or would they have to be glued all over (which would result in alot of glue lol)

Thanks

Rob

I would expect 22mm flooring to be as good as 18 mm ply. The problem I would see with multiple thin sheets is that screwing in to them may push the pieces apart slightly.

If you are doubling up 9mm and screwing from the side then you would need to glue them both together or else they would obviously just push apart if screw went down the middle or if a screw went through only one board then the other board would obviously be doing nothing. And I wouldn't want to try getting a screw into both boards, 9mm is pretty thin. I am not seeing 2x 9mm as a viable option personally.
Martin

You could screw the 9mm boards together I suppose.... Either short screws or ones that stick out the back which might not a problem if you did it in situ. But you would need to have the screws close to where you plan to screw from the side otherwise board will just bend and move apart still 😅
It's glue or nothing in my opinion, you don't want a pattress to fail 🙂

Back