Patina Wood Finish - a few questions...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Patina on some spalted beech coasters that I turned for my desk in work.

I applied two coats. Rub the stuff in with the lathe stationary, and run the lathe and polish until dry. Swift rub with some 0000 gauge wire wool, and then repeat for the 2nd coat, again finishing off with the wire wool (lathe running).

Got a nice finish - not too glossy, and stands up to mugs and spills of boiling coffee fine. Also brought out the figure / spalting a treat. Maybe not quite as nice as oil or wax, but certainly more durable.

Smelled a bit strange for a couple of weeks though, but is fine now.

Nice one Taffy
I agree about the smell.
I have tried to rub the patina in with 0000 wire wool, it appears to be flattening off. Still not quite sure about it yet.
I will report later if I change my mind.

Bean

Hi Bean,

I tried applying the Patina with wire wool, but that wasn't too successful to be honest.

I find it best to rub it well in with the lathe stationary using a rag, and then run the lathe at about 2000 rpm and polish dry using a clean rag. When it is good and dry, I just flatten down with the wire wool to take the "plastic" shine off.

It certainly gives a much better finish than melamine or polyurethane type products.

Hi Taffy
I know what you mean I keep looking at the finish and I cannot make my mind up, I think it looks awful and keep hoping it gets better :cry:

I'm trying to use it on a small chest so rotating at 2000 rpm is not an option. It could be back to the finishing Oil for this one.

Bean

Back