Paste wax or something else for an aluminium table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams93

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a cheapo planer thicknesser which has a ground cast aluminium table, there is a funny texture on the table from the machining. I appreciate that rust is not a concern as with the nicer cast iron ones, but nonetheless, it does feel like it would benefit from something to reduce the friction.

I read that paste wax and candle wax are used on the iron tables, but I wondered if I should be using something different on my cast aluminium. I would be grateful for anyone's advice!

I don't think it matters.
Way back in the day when Kity made the hobby / trade woodworking machines that are now ubiquitous, those all had cast alloy tables and Kity sold "Kityspeed" to slick them up.
This was just a rebadge of "silbergleit" which is still available. It works fine but is no better than other options.
I'd just buy Liberon machine table wax as it lasts for ages and it's a good product for when you buy something else with a cast iron table and can appreciate the anti rust additives.

Caution, consider the final job as what goes on the table gets transfered to the planed surface and will impact on any paint, varnish or stain.

Caution, consider the final job as what goes on the table gets transfered to the planed surface and will impact on any paint, varnish or stain.
Yes I made the mistake of using a silicone spray on my bandsaw table (also aluminium) before which transferred excellently onto the wood I was cutting.

I thought the point in the paste waxes (and this liberon lubricating wax) was that they didn’t do that?

So long as it's silicone free and you don't put a ton of wax on it should be fine. Spread a thin layer, wait 10-15 minutes to haze over then buff off all the excess with a clean cloth until it shines.

Yep, use a basic wax. NOT SILICONE. It's a bit""" .ch to get off anything that comes into contact with it.
Right now, I am trialing a UK made microcrystalline wax - so far ,so good.

more wood passing over the bed will polish it.....
so get more project done.....lol....
in 50 years I've never waxed a bed of any kind'a metal....
i did use a car buffing machine to polish what was a rusty Wadkin planer bed tho...

Back