- 1 Aug 2005
- Reaction score
- Shoot'n in sheds, Luton in Beds.
I nearly lost my workshop last year by a mistake that never crossed my mind before. I always keep flammables - meths, polishes, oils etc - in a closed cupboard, so that on the odd occasion I may have a blowlamp going there is no danger of a fire. Naturally I keep my wire wool in there with the polish. Then I got a couple of PP3 tranny batteries for my workshop alarm, and I put the spare one somewhere safe - in the polish cupboard! When I later took out some 0000 wire wool to use on a project, I did the usual and threw it back in the cupboard afterwards. Within seconds I saw smoke coming through the gap in the cupboard door . The whole hank of wire wool was glowing red like embers. I threw it out onto the concrete step where it burned for several minutes.If I had not noticed the smoke the whole lot would have gone up. Until I tried touching the battery terminals on a new sample of the wire wool for just 1 second, I would never have believed that it could have created such an incendiary device. The picture is a "reconstruction" - I never keep batteries in there now!