"Parts near End of Life" message

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reset software for Epsom printers is called SSC Service Utility. IIRC it's author is Russian but the programme has been in common use for years. Lots of info & available to download from
- Epson printer resetting software and maintenance ( The INK Store )

Thanks for the above Robbo.

@ both Droogs and Robbo:

Thanks to both of you for the above inputs. I have an Epson Stylus R360 (not the 340/350 mentioned) but suspect it's of similar vintage, and no doubt, similar in hardware & software.

So far (touch wood!) apart from replacing the (expensive IMO) colour cartridges, I've had no problems and it still produces photo results good enough to satisfy me!

But like the OP I hate chucking "still working" stuff away so have downloaded and saved the links given. No doubt I'll need that info - AND the "ridiculously cheap" cartridge prices - "one of these fine wet days".

Thanks.

@AES and others that have given input, this is a reply to my 2nd contact with Epson regarding the printer. The *estimated* production and lifespan may be of interest:

"Epson continually tries to release new products with improved features but is also aware of the products that have been manufactured many years ago and that is why it will keep producing spare parts for any needs regarding older products. However, there is a limit where some of them may reach an age where they nor its spare parts and consumables are no longer manufactured, due to production and developing reasons.

There is a point when newer products and services take over older ones. This is a progressive and relatively slow process as Epson expects that their products will last many years, as it is the case of your device.

Estimated production timings are the following:

- Average product lifespan: 5 years
- Spare parts and drivers: 10 years
- Consumables (ink cartridges): More than 10 years

Regarding the option of this replacement done by the customer: since the replacement of this component needs to have the printer manipulated internally, Epson as a manufacturer cannot guarantee a successful replacement operation in case this is done by the customer or any unauthorized repair centre, as the process implies a) the replacement of the ink pad which is only supplied to authorized repair centres and b) an internal software update so the inkpad in question gets integrated in the printer. Also manipulating internal parts of the printer may become a risk of personal injury.

When it comes to this terms to be more or less similar to the ones in USA and Canada, unfortunately I cannot confirm that as these are different countries and work under different legislation than Europe. Also, many sources that provide instructions and even the alleged components to do this by the customer itself, are non Epson authorized.
"

I'd mentioned that the utility had been released to members of the public in the US and Canada hence his last paragraph. Regarding ink cartridges... I get mine from The Cartridge People using their inks and not Epson branded.

And on my Epson scanner printer (A3 size that takes BIG cartridges and only cost £100 at Currys) this ink overspill thing is now a box that can be replaced by the consumer just like the cartridges.
I'm not sure if that option is available for my R340? One of the links I came across was a forum discussion (dated way back to around 2008?) talking about fitting a bag for collecting the ink overspill but the links provided for additional information where dead.

Last edited:
'trained Epson Engineer'? That will be someone, like you or I with a bit of curiosity to take stuff apart. I away say, If it was assembled, it can be disassembled. I would be getting the 'pad' out sticking it in a solvent of some kind and washing the excess ink out of it. How you get round the error message I wouldn't know, but I would be having a go. If Epson have deemed it scrap, What have you got to loose?

Last edited:
Regarding ink cartridges... I get mine from The Cartridge People using their inks and not Epson branded.
The potential problem with this is that Epson are the only Printer manufacturer to use Piezo-Electric pumping to deliver minisule amounts of ink which is essentially a mixture of a DyeStuff in a medium. The DyeStuff in the case of Epson is extremely fine since their technology allows much smaller nozzles than the Canon 'Bubble-Jet' technology used by all other makers.

The suppliers of 'Compatible' ink are only saying that their 'Cartridge' will fit. They don't use the high quality ink that the Epson technology needs.

Beware if you're just going to carry out some sort of software reset - I reset an Epson printer a few years ago that was giving a similar message and carried on using the printer for a while, until I noticed one day that there was a growing puddle of ink on the desktop under the printer! Yes, the catch pad/tank had overflowed and there was only one place for it to go!

G.
Yes, I meant to say the same but forgot.

Appreciate the information and the link but I came across that page while searching. The program wouldn't download from them though.
I downloaded it from the link without any problem before I posted.

One other point to be wary of is firmware updates. Printer manufacturers can change whatever they want with a firmware update & it's not always in the end uses interest.

The potential problem with this is that Epson are the only Printer manufacturer to use Piezo-Electric pumping to deliver minisule amounts of ink which is essentially a mixture of a DyeStuff in a medium. The DyeStuff in the case of Epson is extremely fine since their technology allows much smaller nozzles than the Canon 'Bubble-Jet' technology used by all other makers.

The suppliers of 'Compatible' ink are only saying that their 'Cartridge' will fit. They don't use the high quality ink that the Epson technology needs.
I have used 'compatible' ink in my Epson printers for years, and never had a problem. Also , the quality of photo prints has always been good, and I'm fussy.

Yes, I meant to say the same but forgot.

I downloaded it from the link without any problem before I posted.

One other point to be wary of is firmware updates. Printer manufacturers can change whatever they want with a firmware update & it's not always in the end uses interest.
Hi @Robbo3 I'll give the link another try later today when on the laptop but when I first came across that link and tried to download it wouldn't work for me. Tried three times. It's encouraging to hear you say that if worked for you.

Yes, firmware updates. I did also check the Epson site during my journeys in searching and found that the last firmware update was a number of years ago and is the one installed.

I'll give the link another try later today when on the laptop but when I first came across that link and tried to download it wouldn't work for me. Tried three times. It's encouraging to hear you say that if worked for you.
Presume you are clicking on "Click here to download" in blue.
You should then get a small 'opening sscserve.exe' window pop up which says

"You have chosen to open
sscserve.exe
which is a Binary File (968KB)
from Ink Cartridges for inkjet printers Epson Canon HP Lexmark Brother UK ( The INK Store )
Would you like to save this file?"

Click "Yes"

You may get a Windows 'User Account Control' (a flashing shield) icon in the task bar at the bottom of the page & a pop up behind whatever you have open on the desktop, which requires your permission to download the file.

Thanks @Robbo3 . Haven't yet tried on the laptop so I'll look out for those you mention.
Out of curiosity I visited the link to the page while using my tablet, clicked on the hyperlink text and the file downloaded with no messages appearing. Slightly further down in the text there is another hyperlink - slighty different text but mentioning the sscserve. Selecting that it will download again but I get a message to confirm to download what is the same file previously downloaded but with a 1 at the end of the file name - - - indicates duplication of the first one so didn't download. Attempted to email the file to myself so I could save to the laptop - trying to save going to the page again - but the file email/file wouldn't post... some built-in protection as the attachment file is an .exe one.
I will try again later this weekend. Thanks again for mentioning the steps that should come up. Didn't get any notifications visible when I tried originally.

Try downloading it again taking note of where it's downloading it to. Often it's where a previous download was placed rather than the default.
I can email you a copy if you would like.

Try downloading it again taking note of where it's downloading it to. Often it's where a previous download was placed rather than the default.
I can email you a copy if you would like.
Hi @Robbo3 thanks for that. I'm not sure if you have installed and used the SSC Service utility but I'll go through what I had after installing and trying to use it. The *only* things I could get to work "Normal cleaning" and "Nozzle check"... I tried all others except the "Power clean" and "Initial charge" buttons.

Downloaded it yesterday afternoon with no problem "this time" and ran it this morning. I use Chrome for the browser which, this time, showed the download progress and then able to install. Had it downloaded the previous attempts I'd have found it in the download folder and this downloaded version would have had the (#) showing a multiple download. Strange that it worked this morning but not with the previous attempt - computers eh!

On installing and opening (clicking on the desktop icon) I got this message first:

1652521638269.png
and then clicking OK the utility screen opened okay (?)

I then selected the printer in both sections:
1652521758031.png

On opening, the "Installed Printers" box shows with a message "Send to One Note 2013" - there are other options in the drop down list. The "Printer model" box also had to have the R340 selected from the drop down list.

I then selected the "Show counter value" as indicated in the screen grab above and got this message:
1652521841414.png
Printer was ON...
Trying to go forward I selected the "Reset waste counter" and got the same error message. I "thought" that perhaps this was because the printer was showing "Service required. See user manual" but made no difference when tried again; turned off then back on the printer. No difference.

Trying for the Test Report I got this:
1652523056452.png
Then closing that opens an email to send the test report.

This shows a message to remember to select the report file to attach and send: "Please, do not forget to include attachment - c:\program files (x86)\ssc service utility\testrep.txt. Do not send if model is already supported and your problems are not software related !"
Going to that given route the txt file is not found:
1652523333671.png

Closing down the program, clicking the X top right corner I got this:
1652523010018.png

I then decided to try the other utility I mentioned earlier: Epson Inkpad reset utility, I'd downloaded on the 10th. Epson IPR (Ink Pad Reset) Utility - Waste Ink - lings
This one doesn't put any desktop icons or "program" - that I could find later after opening the downloaded folder - visibly accessible and I could only (seemingly) run it again from the downloads folder where I'd unzipped the folder. This time, after getting message WARNING to replace the pads before running and clicking YES I went forward to the next stage - to the printer name/model confirmation - automatically recognised unlike in the SSC program - and selecting the reset counter there was then a message confirming the counter had been reset and to turn printer off then back on.
1652523436041.png

Doing so the printer did not have the error/service required message.

I will just have to watch out for any ink spillage should I use it before I attempt to access the ink pads to clean.

Back