"Parts near End of Life" message

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accipiter

Established Member
Reaction score
In a printer... Sorry this may turn out as a rant about our "throw away society" brought about - maybe? - by product manufacturers no longer making parts available OR making service by owners a possible option for continued use.

I have an Epson Stylus PhotoR340 printer which, admittedly, I've had for a long time - I don't recall the date purchased but it was released by Epson in 2005. I know that was the year of release because of the research I've been doing to try to get some support for an error message that the printer is now giving me when I use it: "Service required. Parts inside your printer are near the end of their service life. See your printer documentation."

This message gives no indication as to what parts but the research shows that it relates to the Ink Pads becoming full of old ink *because*, probably, of the print counter for number of prints made on the printer, cartridge flushes when replaced etc., etc.

Contacting Epson about support gives a reply that pretty much says "it's an old printer, throw it away as we can no longer service it - no parts (ink pads) available and the service can't be done by you. Go buy a new one" - words to that effect but put more politely. ;) They (Epson) don't advise (like) others to service their printers but said "some one may have parts - but we don't". Searching for another service company indicates that such would cost "from" £65... New Printers are less than that depending on what you go for if starting for a basic A4.

Doing Google searches brings up mentions of utility programs to reset the counter and make the printer useable again - if it's become locked and unusable... which it apparently can IF you ignore the Service Required/error message. Trying to get these little programs comes up with broken links OR zip files that won't open/extract (on Win10 laptop)... I'm wary of trying these anyway because of possible virus issues in running them 😒

So... it now seems that I will have to go and throw away a printer - along with the ink cartridges - that is only usable *until* the required service message decides to lock the printer, put it on the scrap heap with all the other products no longer supported and serviceable, and then go buy a new one.

Sorry all for the rant.

we just binned our Cannon scanner/printer...the ink dried out again.....
pratted around on and off for too many hours trying to fix it.....
we now get the local copy printer place to do it.....
about 5P per double sided copy.....
they will even print the next size up from print paper.....about 50p per sheet.....
so why bother.....!!!!!

Didn't the EU recently bring out new legislation that meant built in obsolescence was no longer going to be allowed .....??
I'm sure I read somewhere that all electrical domestic use devices were now going to have to be repairable and that Consumers would have guaranteed access to parts and, if they wanted to, the ability to take devices apart and repair them themselves.

In my opinion, it's about b l o o d y time !!! It really p I s s e s me off to throw stuff away just because the manufacturer says the parts to repair the item are not available to the Consumer.🤬🤬🤬

On Sunday afternoon, my wife said she was about to order a new hairdryer ( well known up market brand ) to replace her current one coz " the 2 speed switch doesn't work any more..."
I took a look at it, found my set of anti tamper security screwdrivers, and took the thing apart. After cleaning all the dust out of it and having at the sliding switch with a couple of cotton wool buds dipped in Denatured Alcohol, put back together and turned it on ......Hey Presto! It lives again.

Last edited:
we just binned our Cannon scanner/printer...the ink dried out again.....
pratted around on and off for too many hours trying to fix it.....
we now get the local copy printer place to do it.....
about 5P per double sided copy.....
they will even print the next size up from print paper.....about 50p per sheet.....
so why bother.....!!!!!

Thanks for responding.

If I lived within easy walking distance or driving/parking distance - easy parking also - to a local print shop I wouldn't bother either but as I don't it makes sense to me to have a printer at home. I'm not making any assumptions that you do live in close proximity to one when saying that so apologies if it comes across that I am 🙏.

In my case it's for convenience when I need to print something off the laptop from the web I've maybe downloaded etc., etc. I do a "reasonable" amount of printing of various types like drawings, plans, letters etc., that can be a number of pages required, also photos - hence the Photo R340 - or my other family members do have similar requirements. Although I do have an A3 photo printer with capabilities to print A4 letter paper it's been cheaper to run the R340 A4 one. Just annoys me over the service parts (ink pads) being unable to be replaced by an "untrained" Epson engineer.

Didn't the EU recently bring out new legislation that meant built in obsolescence was no longer going to be allowed .....??
I'm sure I read somewhere that all electrical domestic use devices were now going to have to be repairable and that Consumers would have guaranteed access to parts and, if they wanted to, the ability to take devices apart and repair them themselves.

In my opinion, it's about b l o o d y time !!! It really p I s s e s me off to throw stuff away just because the manufacturer says the parts to repair the item are not available to the Consumer.🤬🤬🤬

My thoughts exactly. Not sure when the EU brought that in but if it's after 2005 then the printer in question wouldn't be included? I'm narked about the support guy saying; Quote:

"Ink pads are the component of the printer which clean up excess ink and ensure that there are no ink spillages occur when printing.

Once these ink pads are at the end of their serviceable life they are full of ink and will need replacing.

Unfortunately to replace these ink pads it will require a service from a trained Epson Engineer. (I've underlined this)

If “ink pad full” or “Parts inside your printer are near the end of their service life” message is displayed on your printer, it means that the printer’s ink pad has reached it’s full capacity and needs to be replaced. It is not possible to do this yourself.
(Again, underlined by me)

Sadly and due to the age of this printer, no service options are longer available.

We wouldn't normally recommend to have the printer service elsewhere but another supplier may well have the required parts."

Online printers are available. They print your document and mail it to you. Postage makes small numbers of sheets expensive (one copy of one sheet is 4.91gbp) but with larger runs it gets more reasonable (10 page document 5.82gbp)
eg: Doxdirect | Online Document Printing | Upload & Print Documents Online (where I got the quotes, no connection with them, [edit: never used them ]but might next time).

I was down that road a number of years ago with an Epson printer.

Message said it required service. I made the usual enquiries and found I could take it to a service centre 60 miles away pay the price of a new printer and then pick it up again two weeks later.

I didn't much like that idea, so after fishing around t'net I found a code which reset the printer and made it think it was new again.
I don't remember how long it lasted, but it was quite a while.

Once these ink pads are at the end of their serviceable life they are full of ink and will need replacing.
Unfortunately to replace these ink pads it will require a service from a trained Epson Engineer.
Seems Epson have the perfect marketing model. You deign a printer which uses ink. Customers have to buy the ink, some of which ends up in the ink pads and when they are 'full' you need to pay to get Epson to replace the pads. Brilliant!!

A very common fault for Epson printers from my days at repairing them. There is a pad that sits under the printhead rest postion. You can take it out and clean it with IPA let it dry an put it back but you do have to nearly totally dismantle the printer to do so.

I have an old Cannon Pixma photo printer that served me well for about 10 years.
The print head gave up the ghost, so I'm currently considering whether to get an original or an aftermarket one,
or just buy a new printer.
10 years is not a bad innings for such things, though.

I was down that road a number of years ago with an Epson printer.

Message said it required service. I made the usual enquiries and found I could take it to a service centre 60 miles away pay the price of a new printer and then pick it up again two weeks later.

I didn't much like that idea, so after fishing around t'net I found a code which reset the printer and made it think it was new again.
I don't remember how long it lasted, but it was quite a while.

I've recently this evening found a little utility program, virus checked it, ran it and it told me I didn't need to do the reset yet as "parts had not reached end of life" yet! Guess I'll just keep using the printer until it locks up and then run this utility program when that lock up happens. Still naked at Epson.

A very common fault for Epson printers from my days at repairing them. There is a pad that sits under the printhead rest postion. You can take it out and clean it with IPA let it dry an put it back but you do have to nearly totally dismantle the printer to do so.
Thanks for that information re where thepads are situated @Droogs 👍 When it comes to that time - or I feel like trying before - I may just give it a go 😉

I came across a post in a forum which said someone had fitted a bag for ink overspill - they were thanking the guy that had it available with instructions on how to fit etc. Trying to follow links for the kit came up with 404 errors.

Thanks for responding.

If I lived within easy walking distance or driving/parking distance - easy parking also - to a local print shop I wouldn't bother either but as I don't it makes sense to me to have a printer at home. I'm not making any assumptions that you do live in close proximity to one when saying that so apologies if it comes across that I am 🙏.

In my case it's for convenience when I need to print something off the laptop from the web I've maybe downloaded etc., etc. I do a "reasonable" amount of printing of various types like drawings, plans, letters etc., that can be a number of pages required, also photos - hence the Photo R340 - or my other family members do have similar requirements. Although I do have an A3 photo printer with capabilities to print A4 letter paper it's been cheaper to run the R340 A4 one. Just annoys me over the service parts (ink pads) being unable to be replaced by an "untrained" Epson engineer.
Just a thought. If you have a look at the photo forums you might find there is an easy reset. I had this happen a few years ago and was able to easily reset the warnings etc. It's just a sneaky way of selling another .

@accipiter, had a quick look through old workshop manual links and found this one below. Full stripdown and repair manual for the R340/350

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1143660/Epson-Stylus-Photo-R340.html?page=30#manual
Info you want starts around page 112
hth
Brilliant... thanks @Droogs for this link. I'll have a good look tomorrow using my laptop and a bigger monitor screen. I've had a quick browse and there's some information about removing the ink pads around page 75...

Going to take some studying 😉 Thanks again 👍🍻

Thanks for responding.

I agree Accipiter if i wanted a copy doing i have three options (1) a long walk down a steep hill and a mile walk into town and the same back bit harder going up hill (2) drive to town park car 90p minimum fee for half hour so would not have to have any holdups at shop (3) catch bus £1.20 each way . And as most electrical / mechanical things you buy nowadays you need to download manuals also local time tables , council info etc etc etc so a printer is best option for us anyway .

Seems Epson have the perfect marketing model. You deign a printer which uses ink. Customers have to buy the ink, some of which ends up in the ink pads and when they are 'full' you need to pay to get Epson to replace the pads. Brilliant!!
Don't single out Epson! ALL ink jet printers have the same overspil collectors. As it happens, Epson have extremely fine contol on the amount of ink being released since they 'Pump' the ink whereas all other manufacturers use the 'Bubble' principle which gives little or no control of the ink dispensed so therefore have a much greater 'Excess' that must be soaked up.

Back