Part P prosecutions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Had supper with a magistrate friend of mine last night and conversation came round to renovations etc.

She mentioned, in passing, that Part P prosecutions were starting to happen...so be careful out there, guys.

:D thanks Alf i know about the new regs but didn't know it was called part p can accross this in new zealand but the goverment at the time had the good sense to control the charges as well and impose a max amount or so i was told . :?

they do all that work so make things safer that for a couple of weeks of the year you can buy explosives to blow bit of you and some elses body :twisted: :twisted:

ho well some be christmas :deer

martyn

Three questions spring to mind:

1) What have the defendants done that contravenes Part P i.e. are they cowboys or DIYers and are they being prosecuted for gross incompetence or just minor infringements?

2) How are the authorities finding out, OK if someone is killed or seriously injured then that is obvious but if someone is being prosecuted because they changed the light fitting in their kitchen where did the information come from?

3) Are they getting convictions and if so what penalty is being applied?

Andrew

martyn2":jdq3jkxq said:
:D thanks Alf i know about the new regs but didn't know it was called part p can accross this in new zealand but the goverment at the time had the good sense to control the charges as well and impose a max amount or so i was told . :?

I think I have read somewhere that New Zealand repealed that legislation and that the following year there was a slight decrease in electrical deaths but I don't remember where I saw it.

Andrew

andrewm":3b8k7a6k said:
Three questions spring to mind:

1) What have the defendants done that contravenes Part P i.e. are they cowboys or DIYers and are they being prosecuted for gross incompetence or just minor infringements?

2) How are the authorities finding out, OK if someone is killed or seriously injured then that is obvious but if someone is being prosecuted because they changed the light fitting in their kitchen where did the information come from?

3) Are they getting convictions and if so what penalty is being applied?

Andrew

Good questions. I'll try and find out but not optimistic.

Sparks have the part P , Plumbers have to be Corgi , its only a matter of time before they pic on us C&J . Another £1000 a year bill for going to work :evil:

I was listening in on a conversation in australia and it appears you cant even knock a hole in your wall and put in a window (not talking planning permission etc.) unless you are qualified etc. Serious, so just wait you most probably will not be allowed to sew your runner beans soon, an hortuculuralist cert will be needed.

devonwoody":1mhtejq8 said:
so just wait you most probably will not be allowed to sew your runner beans soon, an hortuculuralist cert will be needed.

you mean you havn't got one yet :roll:

martyn

Hmm, my gut feeling is that this will be initial trade prosecutions of unregistered electricians or tradesmen undertaking electrical work as a minor part of the job they are doing and hoping it slips through unnoticed. I would be extremely surprised if the prosecutions are of DIYers redecorating or doing work in their own homes/gardens.

If you were the council who would you look at first - DIYers, tradesmen or electricians? Not sure who gets the revenus from any prosecution, the government or the council but you can bet whowever it is will make more from looking at tradesmen than looking at DIYers. DIY man gets done for refitting his bathroom, an unregistered sparkie can get done for multiple jobs!

Cheers,

Steve.

Going off-topic for a moment..two snippets in the news this week...Lambeth Council intending to rename their Christmas Lights to Winter Lights and museums relabelling items to be BP rather than BC...BP = Before Present.

Lunacy! Maybe we need an emoticon that looks like Munch's The Scream 'cos that's how I felt when I read these two gems. ](*,) ](*,)

C'mon Roger you must have heard about Brum's christmas celebrations or Winterval as its properly known.

:D

Cheers

Tim

Actually the change to Before Present makes a lot of sense as it is the system that the archeologists themselves would use. Isn't it more sensible to label something with its age rather than relative to some abitrary point in the past, although i believe BP dates are actually relative to 1950.

Graeme

Erm, call me daft but doesnt the definition of before present change as the present date changes :shock: Why is pegging to 1950 any different to pegging to a time point 2000 years ago? Political correctness gone mad if you ask me :evil:

Steve

Latest posts

Back