Part P forum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
There are some good threads on the Screwfix electricians forum.
http://www.screwfix.com/talk/forum.jspa?forumID=23

OK - some of the old chestnuts still get an airing but, by and large, there are some good questions and answers.

I must get a new copy of the regs. F'rinstance, did you know that if you have a cooker socket with an outlet socket then it must be fed from an RCD (in many circumstances...as you might plug an extension lead into it and then take the other end into the garden...not that is if you are on the 13th floor of a block of flats...but you get my drift).

Why wouldn't you want to do this? Well, old cookers can be leaky - not enough to kill you (it's earthed anyway, isn't it?) but possibly enough to trip that 30mA breaker. Bit of PITA to go down t'pub on a Sunday lunchtime and come back to find the trips gone and dinners raw :cry:

Hi Roger

It seems as though you missed it but this topic was recently done to death, and then some more, on this forum.

So please, let's just leave it as it seems to raise the odd hackle or fifty.

Thanks
Neil

Hi Neil

Yes, I know and that's why I said

OK - some of the old chestnuts still get an airing but, by and large, there are some good questions and answers.

My main point for alerting people to this forum is because it consists, in the main, of real sparkies who are out there in the field and facing this on a day-to-day basis. There is still a lot of confusion as to what is and what isn't covered by part P and these guys discuss it. Like it or not (I admit I don't) Part P is here and so we all have to work with it/around it.

I think the Screwfix forum helps find the answers. IMHO

Roger

I don't intend to take part in any further comment about part P here so let's not assume that's why I am responding to this thread.

What I will say in response to the screwfix forums however is that although there may be some "real" sparkies therein, there are also a number of "unreal" sparkies there too. But that goes for plumbers, chippies, plasterers, you name it.

IMHO screwfix may be a popular site but it does not impress me with the opinionated comments that sometimes materialise over there. And the moderators don't give credit to the site with their sometimes draconian actions at removing links to other sites. I don't mind moderators taking action in relating to badmouthing etc, but just because it happens to be a link to what they see as a competitor is not in my view a good enough reason.

http://www.askthetrades.co.uk is a much better site if you are looking for decent advice on things electrical (or other trade).

Andrew

Excellent recommendation, HandyMac..I agree with you that the Screwfix site can get a bit 'rowdy' but I was unaware that they removed links. Will view the site a bit more circumspectly in the future.

Roger

Back